The Abduction Club If...

MegGiry posted on May 04, 2011 at 07:43PM
One of the things I like about this movie is that the two couples don`t seem to care much about the lack of money and are happy without it in the end, while in most movies money is the only value in life.
What`s your opinion, would it be better or not, if in the end they`d somehow become wealthy? Would that change the impression the film gives?

The Abduction Club 7 respuestas

Click here to write a response...
hace más de un año Tristans_Isolde said…
That is a great thought! and I absolutely agree with you MegGiry. I think this film teaches us a lot about the value of money, which is the whole basis of the film- Byrne and Strang are younger sons and will not inherit therefore must marry wealthy wives.
I think that if they became wealthy at the end, it would have still been a great movie however it would have distorted the morals or themes and which we learn in watching the film. I also love the fact that the movie doesn't end all neat with everything solved. There are so many questions still left to be answered- we don't know what will happen to Mr Power or the girls father (Mr Kennedy). What becomes of Knox? Does Lord Fermoy take revenge? Is there still an abduction club? What becomes of Anne and Strang, Byrne and Catharine?
I think these questions we are left with, as well as the fact that it is not entirely a happy ending (they are poor and fleeing the country) that makes this film so appealing.

So all in all I think it would be worse if they became wealthy in the end. Plus I'm not a fan of movies where everything turns out perfect, real life is never like that :)
hace más de un año MegGiry said…
The abduction club ceased to exist as sir Miles says (after Strang`s "rebellion"), but I think its former members might still continue abductions. Old habits do not die in one day ;))
And when the two couples continue their laughter and jokes in the end in spite of all their problems we see that they are really very strong people able to stand for their love. Sooo romantic! ))
smile
They are very strong people and I agree it is extremely romantic. I think/hope that after Strang and Byrne left Ireland that The Abduction Club reunited and continued as they always did :) I hope :)
Thanks for discussing this with me, Its so great to talk about this film with someone who loves the film, particularly because hardly anyone I know has heard of or watched this movie.
Thanks for creating this spot!! Abduction Club`s been one of my favourite movies since 2008 and I also can`t understand why the movie isn`t popular. Besides, many people on Youtube complain that they can`t buy it anywhere! That`s a shame that so many crappy movies are known to everybody and have a lot of fans, just because of the intense advertisement...
Advertisement really is the key, well along with A-list Hollywood actors it seems. I honestly think that this is one of the best period dramas around so i just don't understand why fans of the genre have never heard of it. But then again as you have said it is very hard to buy it, I had to order my copy online.
Hey, I`m back from the holiday!..
Well, I can`t imagine Abduction Club with other actors and I like the fact that the faces are not too familiar as it would inevitably be with famous actors.
Oh wow you went on holiday, I hope you had a lovely time!
That's a great point I love the actors, I think they were perfect. Sophia Myles who played Anne is so talented!