The Monkees Not enough Monkees in 33 & a third Revolutions Per Monkees

mosriteluv posted on Jan 19, 2011 at 09:52PM
I finallly got a chance to see The Monkees in their TV Special titled 33 & a Third Revolutions Per Monkees. To be truthful I didn't like it. I found it focussed to much on Julie Driscoll & the other guy & even the guest stars like Jerry Lee Lewis.

The Monkees hardly got a chance to talk & display the personalities that endeared them to television audiences worldwide. I know there solos were supposed to give us insight into each members personality, but it wasn't enough for me. It left me craving more. I found the special excrutiating almost like the Star Wars Christmas Special. Too much Darwin too.

The best thing was when the Monkees started playing "Listen to the Band", but that too went downhill when the other people joined in. That was the Monkees last performance as a group in the '60s & for a while. I was enjoying their performance & then it was taken away from them too:( That was so sad to me. I thought everyone else was showing off & I liked the Monkees playing. Julie & the other guy made it a complete mess by the end. Terrible. They deserved better.
last edited on May 12, 2011 at 06:03PM

The Monkees 5 respuestas

Click here to write a response...
hace más de un año 4peetsayk said…
crying
I'm in complete agreement. It was like the Monkees had accidentally wandered on to some bizarre set populated by embarrassingly over-the-top actors in the middle of some disjointed play written by an acid casualty with a musical score from some middle-aged, washed-up composer who never listened to any music recorded after 1949. It was ill-conceived, clumsily patched together and totally unwatchable when there wasn't a Monkee around. The Jerry Lee Lewis spot made no sense whatsoever. And just like mosriteluv said, the very best part was when just the four of them started playing 'Listen to the Band', and they had to ruin THAT part when all the fake hippies and other random people staggered in and completely killed what could have otherwise been one of the group's finest moments. And mosriteluv just depressed me when mentioning that it was their last performance as a group.

NBC gave the show NO support whatsoever, and as a final insult, it was programmed opposite a World Series game! "They deserved better." They sure did, mosriteluv
hace más de un año mosriteluv said…
Thanks for agreeing & you couldn't have said it better. How dare NBC do that to such a great group. They didn't deserve it. I'll take "Head" any day over that TV special.
hace más de un año 4peetsayk said…
More bad timing for the Monkees. Although they must have been awfully bitter and ready to call it quits by 1968-69, making a deliberate effort to destroy the Monkees image was not in anyone's best interest in the long run, and the remaining loyal, hopeful fans were left with nothing to defend once the group itself had given up. "Head" is actually a pretty entertaining movie, with some of the best performances ever by the group, and it might have started a new, and more artistically satisfying, direction for the now-independent Monkees, and maybe gaining some favorable critical acceptance, if they had a) toned down their self-hatred in the movie and b) advertised it as a new, 'improved' Monkees film instead of just confusing the public with weird previews and a nonsensical marketing campaign. People still might have been put off by the violent imagery, but if the group itself had shown some more self-confidence and resolved to stay together even through the worst, the fans would have followed them like they did when they were new on the scene and didn't take themselves so seriously - even the Beatles knew better than to throw their break-up in everyone's face.

But as they say nowadays, 'it is what it is', and you can't re-write history. I still would rather watch "Head" more than many of the TV episodes.
hace más de un año mosriteluv said…
What are you favorite songs from "Head"? I love all of them, but especially Porpoise Song, Circle Sky & Long Title:)
hace más de un año monkeemania said…
Actually most of the Monkees liked 33 and a third revaluations per Monkee better then head. I think it was a lot more fun filming it then watching it. But i do agree that it didn't have a good affect on me and i wouldn't watch it again.