Are tu o your birds tired of bird seed? Here are some strange things tu can put out for a special treat, and help get rid of leftovers.
1. Cookies- Birds amor galletas as much as people do! Just be sure that the galletas tu leave them don't contain chocolate, because that is dangerous for them. Try oatmeal raisin, sugar, o other kinds of home-made o store-bought cookies.
2. Eggshells- Although it may not sound appetizing to us, they are an important calcium fuente for birds. Serve them crushed up, but be sure to boil them o cook them first to kill any salmonella.
3. Doughnuts- These yummy treats are a good fuente of fat for birds. Woodpeckers especially amor jelly-filled ones! I've found that putting them in a suet cage is a good way to serve them. Again, no chocolate.
4. Meat- Most birds are omnivores, so insects are a part of their diet. Most will eat raw meat as well. They like ground beef, I think because it looks a little like worms. They'll also eat cooked chicken (if that isn't disturbing to you).
5. Non-Traditional Nuts- tu may be familiar with feeding peanuts to birds, but they also enjoy almonds, pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts, Brazil nuts, and most other nuts tu can think of.
6. Noodles- Birds will eat leftover, cooked pasta. Just make sure it is the small kind, like orzo, cous cous, elbow, wagon wheel, etc. They might go for espaguetis, espagueti o ángel hair pastas, pasta if it is chopped up into smaller pieces.
7. Dog Food- Dog comida is a good protein fuente for birds, especially in the winter. It helps if tu soak it in water first and lay it out on a cookie sheet. Blue jays amor it!
8. PB&J Sandwiches- Make an extra emparedado, sándwich de for your birds siguiente time! They amor maní, cacahuete mantequilla and jelly, because they combine two great bird foods. Whole wheat o white bread, they don't care which.
9. Leftover Rice- If tu have extra arroz around, tu can put it in a hopper, tube, o tray feeder. Make sure it is cooked first, though. Uncooked arroz can be dangerous for birds to ingest.
10. Cheese- Cheese is another good calcium fuente for birds. They like any kinds, like mozzarella, cheddar, colby jack, bleu, etc. If tu serve it in chunks, they'll still enjoy it.