tim burton have Tim aparejo, burton and Danny Elfman become "disneyfied"?

darcy1792 posted on Jun 16, 2010 at 06:50PM
hi there... I'm doing my dissertation on Tim Burton and Danny Elfman and was wondering whether people believed that Burton and Elfman's films had become defined by the studios that they were created for..? If you compare Alice in Wonderland with something like Beetlejuice or Edward Scissorhands, do people see a difference in the "burton" effect or has the director just mature and evolved his talent..? would be interesting to know what people thought. thanks
save

tim burton 5 respuestas

Click here to write a response...
hace más de un año Frizzhead said…
Well when making something for the company disney which usually won't contain anything too harsh or excede the age rating 12 any director will have to hold back a certain amount of things. With Beetlejuice (age rating 15) there was a lot of innuendos and such as well as deaths and morbid humour.Alice in Wonderland wouldn't have been suitable for young children if Burton did something similar.
Alice in wonderland is a disney/tim burton film that means tim burton had to keep the disney effect to it as much as the burton effect. When burton is working for disney he has to compromise but no i do not think he is disneyfied
last edited hace más de un año
hace más de un año sugarcane15 said…
smile
to me yeah
hace más de un año LilyLil1809 said…
hmmm
I hope he doesn't become Disneyfied, I'll miss the creepy stuff O__O
hace más de un año Clawsluva65 said…
smile
I don't think he is disneyfied. I mean, look at "Alice In Wonderland". It did have some pretty grusome images. For example, the Doormouse stabing the Bandersnatch's eye and pulling it out, the river of heads at the Red Queen's castle, The White Queen's potion with the "butter fingers", and the Jabberwocky's head getting choped off. Tim's work will always be creepy no matter what studio makes his films. I want him to produce my film "Claws" and I want Disney to be involved. And "Claws" is a pretty bizarre and creepy film. :)
hace más de un año stefagresti said…
cool
I don't believe it has become 'disneyfied'. In some ways, films such as Alice in Wonderland and Charlie and the Chocolate factory,can seem less creepy, compared to the dark, abstract films such as Beetlejuice and Edward scissorhands. Yet scenes in Alice in Wonderland, you can identify the Burton 'look'. The scenes explained by Clawluva65 comment's above I highly agree with. Also looking at Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Johnny Depp's strange body gesters and voice has Tim Burton's stylistic, creepy conventions all over it. This is seen again when the children enter the factory and observe all the candy and umpa-lumpas, whilst the eerie but fun music is played. Overall, I believe you can ALWAYS identify a Burton film, his methods when filmaking will always reflect upon his unconventional vision. Hope this helps!