The Fanpoppy Awards Award Categories

blisslikethis posted on Feb 07, 2008 at 10:20PM
This is the final list of award categories!

Best Spot
- Books & Literature
- Hobbies
- Lifestyle/Politics
- Movies
- Television
- Other
Best New (Pending) Spot
Best Pick
Best Pick Series (e.g. - Fanpop Pageant Picks)
Best Option Added to an Existing Pick
Best Soapbox (Entertainment)
Best Soapbox (Informative)
Best FanArt
Best Spot Icon/Banner
Best Video
Best Event (e.g. - Fan of the Fortnight)
Best Comments on a Pick
Best Comments in a Forum
Best Series of Comments (e.g. - between two or more Fanpoppers)
Best New Fan (2007)
Oustanding Contributions to:
- Picks
- Images
- Videos
- Links
Outstanding Contributions to a Single Spot

Special Awards
The Fanpop Four Award for Constructive Criticism
The Dave Lu Humanitarian Award
Lifetime Achievement Award

Please make note of these categories before heading over to participate in nominations. Also, please make sure you understand the categories. If you have any questions about the awards, post them here and we'll be happy to answer them.

Thank you,

The Award Committee
last edited on Feb 10, 2008 at 09:13AM

The Fanpoppy Awards 64 respuestas

Click here to write a response...
Previous

Showing Replies 1-50 of 64

hace más de un año knifewrench said…
Best option added to a pick?

By the way, I love the spot icon!
last edited hace más de un año
hace más de un año Cinders said…
Looks good to me. Brilliant idea, bliss, by the way-- I already have a few folks in mind for a few nominations.

Edit: Just read your soapbox. I suppose my praise should go to hooch.
hace más de un año blisslikethis said…
oh i forgot that one! thanks, knifewrench, i'll add it in.

and yes Cinders, it's all thanks to hooch :).
I have another idea, it's not great but here goes: best running joke (e.g. the Dazl-Smurf joke, the Eden-Dazl-twin joke, the me-burning-things joke, the stalking-JohnMinh joke, etc.)

Just out of curiosity, who chooses the nominations?

Oh! Yet another idea: best debater.
I like that, knifey, about the running joke.

I think we nominate then either bliss or hooch or someone else gathers the nominations.

My question is, who's tallying the votes? Bliss? Hooch? Your mom?
do you mean, who nominates people for awards? or who picks the official nominees out of those?

i'll have to confirm with hooch and dazl (aka - the rest of the Award Committee), but i think the answer to the former is everyone.. hopefully it won't get too chaotic. i think we'll have a finite amount of time in which people can make nominations, and after that the three of us will go through and pick out the top 5 or so nominees for each category.

once we've got the top 5ish, we'll make picks for each category and open them up on the day of the awards ceremony so everyone has a chance to vote.

... i'm brainstorming a little as i go here, and since this is essentially hooch's project, he really has the final say in all this. but i think it's likely this is the way things will work out :)
Thanks, that cleared it up for me :)

Also: best humanitarian? I know Amazondebs is a big fan of using that word so I thought it would be a funny category to have.
i really like the best debater, but i'm worried it might be too specific to the debate spot? what do you guys think?

also, what would the humanitarian award actually entail?
hace más de un año harold said…
I'm filled with questions.

Some of them are even about these fanpoppies! For instance: what is the period being considered for these first awards, and how often would the awards be held? Fanpop's been around for almost two years now - should we expect to nominate based on the entirety of that two years, or some more recent period? Whatever the period for these first awards, should we expect a similar period for the next set of awards, or is this a one-shot ceremony?

Edit: sloppy reading - I see "annual" in the spot description, so these are planned to happen once a year. But the period question still stands. Are these for the calendar year 2007, for the period from March 2007 - February 2008, or what?
i believe hooch was thinking that these first awards would encompass everything since Fanpop's creation up until the end of 2007. from then on, they'll be held annually (we hope).
hace más de un año harold said…
I love the idea of these popular choice awards in general. But may I also say how much I delight in the irony of this and other similar competitions in light of the many articles and comments over the years declaring that "this isn't a competition"? True, it's not a competition, but we're champing at the bit to reward the best in many categories!

One of my joke T-shirt designs had the Fanpop ball on one side, and the legend "I'm not competing" on the back. This would, in turn, inevitably be worn only by the fiercest competitors.
LOL, Harold!

I don't think fanpop IS a competition: as far as contributing, ratings, and medals go. But it's not unfair to recognize folks for outstanding achievements.

You're right though the irony is amusing.
hace más de un año lindsey2182 said…
another nominations might be for Best Icon/Banner? just a thought, sometimes they look like a 5 year old did them other are works of art

also you could subcategorize the best spots like:
Best Movies Spot
Best Television Spot
Best Arts & Culture Spot, etc.
hace más de un año germany123 said…
i was going to suggest something similar( i think- not sure what knifey meant exactly)but to reward someone for being especially kind to other users, always helping out if someone has a question and also stepping in when theres a conflict between users. Ive seen some people around who are really a very positive influence for the general tone of fanpop
lol good point, harold. although, it really is about recognition. actors don't do what they do simply to win an Oscar; they do it because they love acting (one would hope). it's the same here. a lot of us just love Fanpop, and love contributing to the site. why not celebrate the people who do it best? and if it inspires people to "compete" by posting new stuff, there's certainly no harm in that!

yeah, i figured that's what knifey was getting at. i'd be down with that, i can certainly think of a few people who take on the "peacekeeping" role around here. as for seperating things into categories.. it might get to be a bit much. it does make a lot of sense, but i'd have to see a LOT of support for the idea before i'd go with it, i think.
hace más de un año marissa said…
I like Linsey's idea about categorizing the spots, because there is just so much to choose from.

But what do we base "Best Spot" on? Our personal favorite spot, the spot that has the most content, the spot that has the highest rated content...?

Anyways, I super excited!

Watch out Emmys, Oscars, and Grammys (and Junos, for my fellow Canadians), it's the Fanpoppies!

Question: will there be theme music?
hace más de un año greekthegeek said…
we could base it on members, commited members, the amount of content, the quality of the content, and the ratings just to get started.

could i nominate The Office spot as the best spot?

and also, what about the user who makes the best picks?
nominations aren't open yet, but you certainly can once they are :)

best pick-maker is a definite possibility
I don't think I like the idea of a "Best Spot" at all, unless specific criteria are given. Because if it's the most popular, or someone's favorite, spots like Heroes, the Office and Harry Potter are bound to win out.

And if it was... Best Spot for most credited images most working links, best quality videos, well... I can't even think of any nominees for that.

So I don't understand the point of a best OVERALL spot. Unless it's clarified on what constitutes "Best."

But if you DID do a Best Spot award, you might wanna do like Lindsey and Marissa are saying and break it down (now!) into categories.
Sorry guys, my internet cut out. I like the "best spot icon/banner category". I've got another one: "funniest fanpopper" or similar. Johnminh would win by miles but it would still be fun.

Man, I'm full of ideas tonight.... how about "best idea for a spot"? E.G. The Advice Spot by AmazonDebs, or The Picks Spot by MaybeAStarbucks. Or maybe it could be called "Best Unique Spot".
hmm ok, i'm being swayed. my only concerned is that we're going to wind up with 100s of categories lol.

knifey - how about a people's choice award?

i just had another thought - how would everyone feel if people wanting to nominate someone for the Lifetime Achievement Award had to state their cases, and then have a panel of judges choose a winner, rather than by popular vote? ... just a thought.
I like that idea, bliss.

Yeah, well, my vote would be to NOT have a "best spot" award at all as it's way too ambiguous. Hell, the nominations ALONE would probably swamp the pages. But if you did, basic categories like Film, Movies, TV Shows, Books, Hobbies and Other might be enough.
i think you're right Cinders. ok, i'm officially narrowing it down to Best Spot in the Categories of: Books & Literature, Hobbies, Lifestyle/Politics, Movies, Television, and Other.

i'm also tentatively adding Outstanding Contribution in Picks, Videos, Images, and Links. keep in mind, these categories will only be confirmed if more than one person is nominated for them (not that i think that's going to be a problem :S)
Here's my idea for a pick based nomination system: for the first 6 months, people can add their favorites, after that 6 months, the "add own option".... option will be removed and people at the bottom of the list will slowly be removed.

P.S. forgive me for asking a numbnutted question, but what is a people's choice award? I've never watched an award show before so I don't know much about this stuff.
six months?
It is annual, right? So for half the year: people are added, the other half: the list is shortened.
sorry knifewrench, it's going to be more like a week for nominations.

a people's choice award is pretty much a glorified popularity contest lol. so it sort of encompasses your idea about "funniest fanpopper".
Ok then, I think I was taking it a bit too far anyway.
I think I'll go to sleep now, considering it's 1:00AM...
hace más de un año dave said…
This is a brilliant idea guys! All of your creativity never ceases to amaze me. :)
hace más de un año amazondebs said…
somebody may hit me over the head with one of the (brilliant) looking tropheys for saying this

but don't we do a lot of this on fanpop users?
anyways i'm always game

so are we going to do the nominations in serperate forums cause this could get hectic!
yep, nominations will have their own forums. i'm going to tentatively say that nominations will open on the weekend.
hace más de un año hooch-is-crazy said…
sorry, but i was away, then asleep, then at school.

but bliss, i think you have everything handled really well, but i think that considering the fast rise in popularity of fanpop i think 2007 might be too early for best new fan, it is over a year, maybe the the past 6 months or so would work better.
and maybe the best, well, whatever the positive word for nagging is, including blisslikethis' good grammar pleas, kathiria82's call for everyone to contribute and drdevience getting the fanpoppers to credit images.
i'm very happy to see the amount of people behind this, thanks bliss, you really made the whole thing huge, and in response to harold, a lot of things were done with no knoledge the fanpoppies would ever exist, so even if it becomes too competitive, it should work for this year.
haha i like that, "positive nagging".. constructive criticism, maybe? :P

so by "the past 6 months", do you mean that we're basing all nominations on that time period? or just the one for best new fan?

also hooch, how do we feel about finalizing the categories by tonight so that nominations can begin over the weekend?
seems like a good idea, and i only meant the new fan one, because there are too many fans that joined since january 2007, but by august 2007 (if i've got that right) there haven't been as many.

o.k. we need to come up with a list of, i don't know how many, no more than 30
i have a new idea, it has bugged me that the fanpop pageant wasn't quite the same event as i was thinking of (more along the lines of anti-trolling month and the fanpoppy awards) then it hit me, best series of picks (which i bet chel will win) including the fanpop pageant picks and the fanpop movie picks and other stuff like that, or it could be called the best false event or something like that, as it didn't really happen(or if it did i wasn't invited *takes eden hostage*)
hmm so would That's What She Said week from the Office spot be in the same category as anti-trolling month? i'm trying to think of any other examples..

good point on the list for Best New Fan. i'll see what i can do.
oh boy, so i asked dave if they have a list of new fanpoppers from the last 6 months and he said there are like tens of thousands of them :S. so i'm thinking we might just have to let people nominate fans instead of having a list to choose from.
hace más de un año Snerkie said…
Would best fan art have to be created by someone on Fanpop or just something people have found? (and i would suggest any nominations for that, if it is just a found thing should HAVE to have a proper credit)
good question, i think it should be something a fan created.. but if enough people disagree with me, it could be changed haha.
hace más de un año Snerkie said…
yeah, i think it would just be better if it was the persons creation but dunno how many people actually do art and post it here.

Also would hope that all things nominated are up to fanpop scratch...such as good keywords, titled well, credit if needed, etc because there may be a lot of good photos in a spot but none of them will have keywords of have general batch sent keywords.
the award categories have been finalized! please take a look and then head over to the nominations forum and make your picks!

just a note: i've added the Dave Lu Humanitarian Award (this is for things like being a really great member of the anti-troll squad, or just generally helping to make Fanpop a better, more peaceful place)... and the Fanpop Four Award for Outstanding Contributions in Constructive Criticism (such as reminding people to credit images, not to post duplicate picks, or trying to improve Fanpoppers' grammar)

Happy nominating!
hace más de un año tyleroffice4 said…
I have a new category! Best Name! Tell me if you like it
hace más de un año amazondebs said…
you know the special awards ( i think i'm too late, maybe next year?) i think there should be one for something more general similar to the humanitarian award but like the most helpful fan, or friendslyest fan, as i had a lot of help off people and people were so nice instantly it's one of the things that i think fanpop stands out for
hace más de un año ineedcoffee said…
my question is the lifetime achievement award for those of us who haven't been here that long and don't know alot of people, just the ones in our regular spots how can we tell who is deserving maybe you should get the fanpop four in on this one. Just because I don't know how on earth you can expect use to vote on that unless it is just on popularity, because we don't get around to all the spots and I certainly know that there are people on here that I've heard mentioned but have never crossed paths so, what do us newbies do.
hace más de un año blind_moon said…
Just a little question, in the Best Spot when you put

Best Spot
- Books & Literature
- Hobbies
- Lifestyle/Politics
- Movies
- Television
- Other

Are we suppose to choose a spot to each one of the options (Television, movies etc) or are we suppose to pick one from one of these options?
one from each, and there is no award for just the overall best spot.
ineedcoffee - this is why we're holding nominations for that award a little differently. when you nominate someone, you have to present an argument for why they deserve the award, then after nominations are over, hooch, dazl and i will decide (based on those arguments) who wins.

if you don't feel like you've been around long enough to know, then you don't have to nominate anyone. there's always next year :)
hace más de un año x-missmckena-x said…
im confused, so when all nominations are in how are we going to vote for the winner? is it going to be a seris of picks? cause that would be fair would'nt it? and how do we get our nominations through, like is there somewhere we post them?