severus snape Do tu pregunta the Sorting Hat in reguards to Severus Snape?

SevSnapeForev posted on Apr 03, 2011 at 12:21AM
As we all know, Severus Snape was sorted as a Slytherin when he was eleven years old. But, I sometimes question that sorting. I don't entirely believe that Sev should've been a Slytherin, but I can't think of any other house he definitely belongs in...

Lets look at the house choices and what would make Sev fit into them...

Slytherin: He had an obsession of the Dark Arts, and a certain respect for wizards who mastered them. He also had a fondness for the Pure-Blood superiority suggestion. And, of course, later in his life, he became a "faithful" servant of the Dark Lord and Death Eaters.

Gryffindor: Sev undoubtedly has a profound and deeply rooted bravery. We have seen this revealed by the constant danger he puts himself in to protect his dearly beloved, Lily's, son, Harry Potter. Most of his actions are also driven by his undying love for Lily. I also think of Snape's memory of Dumbledore telling him he was brave for putting himself in danger, and then leaving with the statement, "You know, sometimes I think we sort too soon..." I took this as Dumbledore saying Snape had the potetial to possibly be in Gryffindor house.

Ravenclaw: Severus also has a razor-sharp mind and wit. He is very clever, which is apparent in the many spells he has invented under the pseudonym "Half-Blood Prince." He also has the ability to look at all situation in a practical light. For instance, when Dumbledore was cursed by the Ring of Gaunt, Sev didn't freak out and emotionally break down. No, he kept a cool head and speedily applied his skills. Also, he believes that logic can sometimes be more powerful than use of magic. For instance: his "protective charm" on the Sorcerer's Stone was a logic puzzle, only to be figured out by someone with an equally sharp mind. In this case, Hermione Granger.

I don't see him being in Hufflepuff at all though.

These are just my takes on it. Please, comment and share your ideas. Which house do you think Severus Snape should've been sorted in?
 As we all know, Severus Snape was sorted as a Slytherin when he was eleven years old. But, I sometime

severus snape 11 respuestas

Click here to write a response...
hace más de un año Prawls8612 said…
cool
Well...strict enough for a Slytherin and did favor the Dark Arts extremely. He was very clever but think about it, Salazar Slytherin did favor blood superiority and so did Snape, and for the Slytherin House blood superiority was a major factor for being put into that house. So maybe the Sorting Hat wasn't wrong. But we will never truely know.
hace más de un año SevSnapeForev said…
hmmm
*sigh...* The mind truly does wonder about the smallest details. Unfortunatly, those details may never become clear...
hace más de un año BlackHound said…
smile
I don't think Severus favored the blood-superiority nearly as much as some people seem to. You can say he made an exception in Lily's case, but that makes him a hypocrite. He also rebukes Phineas Nigellus Black for using the vulgar term "mudblood" to describe Hermione in Book 7 (I was so proud of him for that). Being Sorted into Slytherin House doesn't depend that heavily on Blood Status either. If it did, Severus would not have been sorted there, and there's a possibility that even Horace Slughorn may not have been either. I think it's more relevant what one's personality and interestes are. And remember too, that the Hat also takes into consideration where one's parents/ancestors were Sorted to; Sev's mother was a Slytherin herself.

So, no, I think the Sorting Hat put him right where he belonged.
hace más de un año bri-marie said…
I think saying all Slytherins favored blood superiority and become Death Eaters is like saying all Gryffindors will always be brave and become Aurors. We know that this isn't true. And there's only one instance where Severus throws a blood status slurr around, so there's no evidence that he had blood superiority mentality.

There's more to being in Slytherin that personal thoughts about someone's blood status. Cleverness and cunning (which are also Ravenclaw traits) ambition (which, really, could be all of the four houses) resourcefulness (a trait Gryffindors have), and determination.

I think the sorting hat was right to put him in Slytherin. More good came from him being there than would have had he been somewhere else - and the hat knew that was going to happen. Just like it knew with Hermione, and it knew with Harry.
hace más de un año BlackHound said…
smile
^True in all that.
Cool. Thanks for you imputs!
hace más de un año PotionsMistress said…
Severus was sorted correctly, because at the time of sorting he DID belong to Slytherin. Being a Slytherin was his choice and his wish, although he was brave enough to become a Gryffindor and smart enough to become a Ravenclaw. It was after the Dark Lord began to hunt Lily that Severus changed and fitted Slytherin no more. Unfortunately, Sorting is a one-time event and one stands no chance to change a house... :(
last edited hace más de un año
hace más de un año PotionsMistress said…
Well, as for my previous post... I thought better... and decided I had been wrong. After Lily's death Severus changed for sure - but he still remained Slytherin. His determination remained the same, it was just the goal that changed - now not Lily herself, but her memory, her legacy - and his own redemption. He remained determined, focused on his way ahead, ready to use any means to achieve his goal. A brilliant mind and a brave soul - but still a Slytherin.
Now forgive me, dear Slytherins, for my previous ill-considered judgement. As a Ravenclaw I desperately wanted to think that in his heart of hearts Severus belonged to my house. Now I must admit - he remained a true Slytherin, and one of the best.
As a Slytherin, I forgive you ;) Thanks for your imput!
hace más de un año cunha27 said…
At the end of the day he wanted to be in Slytherin so that's probably why the hat placed him there. I think Snape had all the good Slytherin qualities.
hace más de un año xElvenPiratex said…
I heard a quote once... Snape lived like a Slytherin, thought like a Ravenclaw, loved like a Hufflepuff and died like a Gryffindor. I can't be too hard on the Sorting Hat 'cuz he must've been a hard one to place!

But yeah, of course I've questioned the Sorting Hat's choice. Despite Snape's fascination with the Dark Arts and his stoic, introverted personality, he had so many other traits that could easily have landed him in a different house. However, that being said, I have to take into account that if Snape had never joined Slytherin, he would probably never have become the great wizard he eventually became. Even if he didn't make the right friends in Slytherin, he at least found a place for himself. If he had been sorted into Gryffindor, James and the Marauders would probably have made him so miserable he might have ended up like Peter Pettigrew, starving for acceptance and constantly flipping back and forth between loyalties. I think that's the genius of the Sorting Hat...it doesn't just see what someone is, it sees what they have the potential to become. Snape may not have been a typical Slytherin, but if he had been placed anywhere else, his story would have been completely different. If he hadn't made all the wrong choices as a young man, he may never have learned the importance of making the right ones, which is why I think the Hat knew exactly what it was doing when it sorted him into Slytherin.
last edited hace más de un año