navidad Traditions

Atypical_Kate posted on Oct 16, 2010 at 06:16PM
Do you have some traditions in your country or your own tradition for Christmas? Yes ? So write it down here :D

navidad 8 respuestas

Click here to write a response...
hace más de un año sandyrocks1982 said…
Well we usually go to a Christmas eve service. I love that. It wouldn't be Christmas with out going to a service!
hace más de un año Kraucik83 said…
big smile
We play a lot of board games during the Holidays... I always liked that!
hace más de un año Atypical_Kate said…
heart
Me too I love it :D And we always watch home alone 1 and 2 (and I always watch Grinch.Polar Express and Rudolph the red noes reindeer ), we are divide the opłatek(wafer), if it's snowing we're going out to build a snowman, we're singing carols,we'ra going on "Christmas Illumination" ,and in last day (before Christmas) at school we have class Christmas Eve and everyone have to draw something (Christmas things)on blackboard :)
hace más de un año Kraucik83 said…
heart
Me & my sweetheart watch every year "Love Actually" :D
hace más de un año Atypical_Kate said…
heart
That's cool too :D Oh I forgot ...I read Christmas Carol every year :D
hace más de un año ILuvSweeneyTodd said…
smile
We don't really have 'traditions' as such. But what we do, basically revolves around food.

At home, we eat pilimeni, shashlik, and some other Russian dishes. But since there is only me, and my parents, we don't need much.

But if we are in Melbourne, vodka bottles galore! Everyone meets at one persons house to eat and drink. We also eat pilimeni, vareniki, shashlik, mikada, various meats and fruits, and HEAPS more. And the guys find absolutely any excuse to have another shot. :P
And when in Melbourne, we kinda have to midnight mass, to make up for not going all year - since there isn't a Russian Orthodox chuch where we live.
last edited hace más de un año
hace más de un año harold said…
It starts with taking the Christmas photo: we dress up and take a family photo, which we then fashion into our Christmas cards sent to family and friends. With December come the advent traditions: the advent wreath for the family and the advent calendars (with chocolates) for the kids. We start to watch a number of classic Christmas movies (as well as some that aren't really Christmas movies): "Christmas in Connecticut," "Holiday Inn," "White Christmas," "How the Grinch Stole Christmas," "Peanuts Christmas," "A Christmas Carol," "Scrooge," "It's a Wonderful Life," "Christmas Vacation," "Love, Actually," "A Christmas Story." The past couple of years we've been watching "Home Alone" too: though, like many of the others, it's not a movie about Christmas, the kids enjoy it. At some point during December, I climb up and put the Christmas lights on the house, fence and yard. If we can, we go to the Dickens fair during December, too, dressing in period costume. About a week before Christmas, we buy our Christmas tree, bring it home, and decorate it as a family. Every year, the kids get a new ornament for that year, so that each year they can unpack all the previous years, and see their history on the tree. The kids appear in a Christmas play at church (one year around the time my son was born, my wife and I played Mary and Joseph). We used to go caroling door-to-door in our old neighborhood, but we haven't managed to develop that sense of comfort in our new one the past couple of years. We have a number of annual Christmas parties we attend every year, including the one where my wife and I met many years ago. At work, I have a holiday party, which usually is just a staff meeting with potluck; I usually bring the wassail. On Christmas Eve, there's a church service, and when we go home, we sing carols and unwrap at least one present (hopefully a package from friends or family in Europe). Then we go to sleep for the night and the kids wake us all early in the morning of the first day of Christmas to unwrap the remainder of their presents. This is where my wife's and my traditions clash: she likes to have every person unwrap all their presents in turn, from youngest to oldest, while my tradition is for the youngest to be the Christmas elf who sorts and hands out presents to everyone to unwrap at once. Either way, soon the house is very cluttered. We wade through wrapping paper and begin Christmas dinner preparations. Usually we have a small number of family and/or friends over (we have a small house and can't accommodate a larger group) for supper. Then we clean up and eventually go to bed, exhausted.

I keep trying to establish some sort of tradition for the remaining days of Christmas (all the way to Epiphany), but so far none have stuck. It's difficult in part because we have competing traditions for New Year's Eve (we usually have an all-day/all-night games party), New Year's Day (desperately trying to find the parade streaming online), and really no one else in the United States celebrates Christmas past the first day (25 December), so it's hard to get traction with others.
hace más de un año erika08 said…
Our family tradition is usually became a family reunion, we spend our Christmas together with my auntie and also my cousins, my auntie and my mom usually cooks a super yummy food that they prepared for us. We usually have some games during the Christmas eve and also singing and dancing, I'm so excited for this upcoming Christmas, this is the time for giving and also to have a family bonding.

link