avatar Its funny how avatar is supposed to be the largest grossing film of all time but..

Mcmadness posted on Mar 12, 2010 at 04:37PM
if what Ive read before is true then Alice in wonderland has apperently already topped it.

Click here to write a response...
Previous

Showing Replies 1-50 of 52

hace más de un año Sp1r1t said…
Huh? Alice comes no where close to being the highest grossing film of all time. I think you're just comparing Alice in Wonderland's first week gross to Avatar's like...14th week gross.
hace más de un año Mcmadness said…
Its just based off what Ive read.
It could be wrong I wont deny that.
However from what Ive read it says that though its been out for only a little while it has already topped it.
Although that could just be crap.
I believe it is crap.
link
Try to find Alice in this list manually, it's going to be hard lol.
hace más de un año rachaelwsz said…
link

An estimated $116.3m (£77m) for Alice in Wonderland pretty much writes its own story. After so-so reviews from US critics, Tim Burton scored the biggest opening weekend of his career and handed Disney the biggest 3D launch in history. Yes, in history. That means it took more than Avatar did in its opening weekend three months ago.

Just the opening weekend but Avatar is still right at THE top.
. I think you read wrongly earlier on.

LOL. I can never imagine Alice in Wonderland overtaking Avatar AND Titanic.
hace más de un año titanicfan1 said…
i know!!!!! Avatar is a whole diffrent type of movie EVER experienced!!!! How all the bonds work, how the talk, how they love every living thing, and how they can beat the living crap out of u!!!lol. It's WAAAAAAAY better than alice in wonderland!!:P
last edited hace más de un año
Nah avatar isnt all that special.
^But I still think it's better than Alice In Wonderland.
Just adding my opinion here...

Well, to be honest, I'm not actually surprised that Alice In Wonderland overtook Avatar in the the weekend opening box office.

Alice In Wonderland was (let's just say) relatively highly promoted. I knew about it about a year ago with all the promotions and hype about it, since it was going to be another movie by Tim Burton. There's this HUGE Alice In Wonderland billboard near my place.

Avatar, on the other hand, I would say wasn't 'promoted' as much as the Alice In Wonderland movie before its release. Sure, there's the trailer and conventions but what I meant the promotion wasn't done ala New Moon movie style. (New Moon was WAY too over-promoted.) I got to know about Avatar about 3 months before its release and that was through watching the trailer before a movie. In fact, when I suggested my best friend to watch it with me, she was like "Avatar? What's that?" She saw the poster and was a little indecisive at first. I think the Papyrus font and the blue people(Na'vi) got some people skeptical at first. Anyway, my friend intially wanted to watch New Moon instead of Avatar, lol. Happy to say, she finally agreed with me and watched the movie.

I'm actually kinda surprised with how they initially did the marketing for Avatar.
Just to prove my point.

(Refer to link) About 1/3 of the votes thought that the trailer was 'weird'. Well, maybe not weird but it wasn't attractive enough(?).

But overall, I would still say that Avatar is the best blockbuster I've seen. Let's see whether it will stay that way(hopefully). ;)
smile
Just to put my opinion out there that relates to your point rachael, I agree that "Avatar" was not as promoted as other movies. To tell you the truth, I never saw an "Avatar" movie poster anywhere outside the theater like on the side of buses! But yet, it's the highest grossing movie of all time lol. I'm so glad my friends wanted to see the movie because without them, I would have never watched it.
I will admit avatar was very oddly promoted.
But just based on what Ive seen in the movie I didn't think it was all that special.
But if you like it that's fine.
On a side note Ive yet to actually see alice and wonderland.
hace más de un año CRaftsman1459 said…
angry
To be honest with you, I laughed histerically when I read that Mcmadness believed Avatar was defeated by by Alice In Wonderland. Now seriously, Mcmadness, get your Avatar hating ass out of here right now or so help me I will unleash the rage of 2048 Avatar fans on you!!!!!!!
hace más de un año polanie said…
Yeah agree with Craftsman1459. This is Avatar fan spot , Mcmadness if u want to criticize Avatar please go somewhere else.
I never said I hated avatar I just said I thought it was just a meh movie over all.
And I admitted it could have been a mistake.
Besides nothing is above criticism.
Nothing.
Besides what fun would it be if everyone just blindly claimed what they have seen is the best thing ever?
Get used to me being here.
Because I like criticizing things.
Saying Avatar is a "meh movie overall" is criticism. To an Avatar fan, it's like saying "communism isn't thaaat bad." Now first off, if you contradict my statement, anything and everything you say is rendered invalid and you will be labeled as a 'commie rat basterd.' Second, if you claim to love criticizing things, then expect to be criticized in return. Third, you still claim, that your claim "could" have been a mistake. Well by now, it should be exceedingly obvious that it was a mistake. Take some ownership of that fact. And fourth, it wouldn't be fun if everyone blindly believed Avatar was the greatest movie ever. However, you forget where you are posting your thread. On the Avatar fan page. No one thinks to themselves, "Wow Avatar was a meh movie overall...I guess I'll join the fan page." This page is specifically for those liking the movie. Now kindly leave. If you choose not to do so, prepare for an arguement at your every post. Followed swiftly by your defeat at the hands of the masses.
Eagerly looking forward to your rebuttal,
CRaftsman1459
^Chill, CRaftsman1459... =) I don't think it's wrong for Mcmadness to voice her opinion about Avatar. *points to Freedom of Speech Badge* She didn't really actually 'bash' Avatar. Recap. She just said,"Nah avatar isnt all that special." Well, that's just her opinion. Let's just accept that with grace.

It would be a whole different case if Mcmadness went," FUGGGGG AVVvvvaAAtTTaaaRRR!!!11! ThAt WaS ThE STUPPIDest MoVie EVAAA!!!"

^Ok, that was a total exaggerated example. Haha. Anyway, that kind of people, I can't tolerate. But Mcmadness' comments wasn't like that.

[edit] I personally think it's alright if people, who don't really like the movie, voice their opinions here. I think it's good in a way to have a fair mix of people. As long as mcmadness voices her opinions in a 'polite' way, I think it's perfectly fine for her to give her comments. :)
@Sp1r1t MTE. =)
First of all. I don't care what the masses think. So if you want to argue be my guest.
I'm here to voice my opinion and you better get used to it.
Second of all. If I posted my dislike of this movie on a forum that agrees with me then whats the point?
Besides I never Joined this fan page I'm just posting on it.
And its a little arrogant to assume that just because there are more of you that I will be beaten.
If I get flagged so what?
I've gone to larger fan sections then this and voiced my thoughts of it.
I went to the Twilight board for crying out loud and they have horrible reputation for there fanaticism.
So 2062 people don't scare me.
Go ahead and rebuttal.
Because just by looking at what you've said I can already tell your the type of fan who gets angry at the slightest of criticism sent your way.
So I'm not worried.
(and on a side note I'm a guy)
Oops.
(Side note: You're not the only user with the name 'mcmadness'. There's another fanpopper that I've met whose username is very much similar like yours and happens to be a female)
My apologies for the gender screw up.

[edit]
And I saw your little forum on the Twilight spot. Instinctively, I would have thought it was a female who started that forum. Guess I'm wrong.
"Yeah can we just take this down a couple of notches?" -Parker Selfridge-

rachael is right, no need to get in a big fuss. What does MTE mean?
Anyway...lol. Quote Mcmadness, "Second of all. If I posted my dislike of this movie on a forum that agrees with me then whats the point?" Do you want us to change your mind about the movie or something? Or do you want us to share our opinions on what we think about your criticism and why we like the movie so much?
I do want to know actually.
Thats the whole reason why I make these topics.
I want people to express themselves on there thoughts of the movie.
And argue things as well.
I just find it to be interesting to hear other peoples thoughts.
Although this one in particular was just me voicing my amusement over what I read.
All be it I will admit it looks like it could be wrong.
And on another note you most likely wont be able to change what I think of the movie either.
Though I would still like to hear what you thought of it.
Lol. It's an Internet slang.

MTE= My thoughts exactly.

"All be it I will admit it looks like it could be wrong."

Not only looks, it IS wrong.
"I'm talking about dinosaurs damnit."
-Chris Hardwick

Now that that is out of the way, I love to debate about anything and everything that is open to interpretation. That's what multiple high level English classes to you. It's annoying at first, however that is irrelevant.

Sadly I regret to inform you that I will no longer argue with you on grounds that I am unwilling to discuss.

My apologies,
CRaftsman1459

P.S. - You were wrong about Alice In Wonderland beating Avatar in terms of total money grossed.
I don't know.
Your source of info could be as valid as mine.
It is the internet after all.
^Honestly, (common sense applied) if Alice In Wonderland DID beat Avatar in terms of total money grossed, it should be all over the papers and news by now, which it hadn't and I think would never happen.

Well I did see a small mention of it during the news but..
Yeah I'm just gonna drop it.
How about we discuss the movie instead?
Oh yeah sure. The reason why I like Avatar is because of the message that it relays. For me, it's not the story, it's how it presents it. I really liked Pocahontas and people say that Avatar is just like it and Fern Gully as well. I can see how that's somewhat true but that didn't stop me from liking it and I thought the story was just as original. Avatar has a predictable plot you say? Well, what movie doesn't?
Well I did see a small mention of it during the news but..
Yeah I'm just gonna drop it.
How about we discuss the movie instead?

No offence, Mcmadness but you seem reluctant to admit your mistake.

Anyway, I totally agree with Sp1r1t.

An extract of my group's oral presentation on Avatar:

To be honest, Avatar's plot isn't exactly something to call original but Avatar is a really 'nice' classic retelling of a much lovable plot- the main character goes against the side which he initially belonged to and helps the natives. Honestly, I think it's really hard to find a movie with an actual original plot. I mean- look at other movies or television shows! Plots like the underdogs getting the girl/guy, forbidden love which either ends tragically or happily, etc have been repeated numerous of times. If you strip the movies back down to its bones, you are bound to find a movie's similarities with other movies. It's just that each movie is fleshed out differently.

"Sp1r1t: Avatar has a predictable plot you say? Well, what movie doesn't?"

Good question. I think out of the movies that I've watched so far... I can predict 88% of those movies' plots/endings...
I wont deny that most movies nowadays don't have original plots but the reason why it bugs me with this movie is because of the movies hype. Plus the message they try to teach is good and all but I would be a bit more "moved" by it if they gave an explanation as to what the heck unoptainiam is and what it does and why they need it.
Ugh I don't want to get involved in this...but I will.

The movie may have "hype," but what causes "hype?" People seeing the movie and raving about how good it is. The movie has amassed more money than any in history, I don't believe that that is "hype." At least, not a majority of it.

And I have a question Mcmadness, why would you have been more "moved," by the message of the movie if you knew about unobtanium?

If you must know, it is a superconductor vital for matter-antimatter energy generators, interstellar and deep space travel, etc, etc.

I could go on and on about it, but I'd be wasting my time. So here's a link about Unobtanium and a link about superconductivity, that you may or may not visit:

link

link
And if you are curious about the total money grossed thus far for both Avatar and Alice In Wonderland, check the following links.

link

Alice In Wonderland
link
Rachael you did an oral presentation on Avatar? That is awesome if you did :D Was it for school? I bet you got an A :]

Mcmadness, I believe they explain what unobtainium is in a deleted scene in Avatar and if you were going to be more "moved" by this explanation, then the DVD is right for you! Besides, Craftsman just explained it to you anyway.
Well if it turned out that they needed it for a natural resource or something and instead of just wanting it for money or whatever I think it would be a much more interesting story if it was about the navi's and the humans trying to come to an understanding with each other and finding a compromise rather then "your way is wrong and our way is right" thing. As for the hype itself Avatar had tons of hype before it was released. People were saying stuff like "this movie is gonna be revolutionary and its gonna be nothing that you've seen before" but the problem with that is that it was only visuals that were special nothing else. And it takes more then just visuals to make a good movie. Though I just want to remind you that I don't think Avatar is bad just that its not what it is hyped up to be and in the long run it will be forgotten.
Hahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah­aha­hah­aha­haa­haa­hah­aha­hah­ahh­aha­hhh­ahh­aha­hah­aha­hah­aha­hah­aaa­aaa­aaa­aaa­aaa­aaa­aaa­a. The Na'vi and humans coming to an agreement? That's hilarious. Since when in human history has humanity yielded to anything? Or compromised for something it wants?

How can you say Avatar will be forgotten? Even if another movie surpasses it's total grossed, it will still rank amongst the highest of all time. Not to mention the filming techniques and new technology for the film industry to play with. Avatar has turn the pages for cinematography worldwide.
*cough-choke-gigglesnort* *stares at CRaftsmasn1459's hahahahahahhahaha...*

You sure did have one heck of a laugh. lol.

'the navi's and the humans trying to come to an understanding with each other'

O_O Wow. I just had a sudden flash back. Mcmadness, I know you criticized the Twilight Saga some time ago... Then, I think you should know Stephenie Meyer's last book for that series, Breaking Dawn. And that^ part over there: 'trying to come to an understanding with each other' reminded me SO much about that *facepalm* book. Really, I don't think it would work out well... Isn't Avatar supposed to be a scifi action movie? Then, well, if the 'compromising, understanding, blahblahblah' stuff was in the movie, then where's the action in it? And I second CRaftsman1459's statement about compromising.

Nah, I really doubt Avatar would be forgotten. Come on. It's the highest grossing movie of all time, putting Titanic into 2nd place. People have not forgotten Titanic, so I highly doubt that Avatar would be just left forgotten. Plus, they're both works of James Cameron. Even if Avatar was dethroned from it's #1 spot, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be forgotten.

Well, I definitely would not forget.
And yes, Sp1r1t. My friends and I did a presentation on it for school. =) We got an A for it. lol.
Just because humans don't have anything the navi's would want doesn't mean they cant come to an agreement of some kind.
Plus they could stiff have action the agreement would have to be after the fighting is over though. And speaking of the action there wasn't a whole lot of it.
Most of the action came at the last half hour of the film and that fight scene really wasn't all that memorable.
And on another note I prefer messages in movies to be subtle not as obvious as a punch to the face.Avatars message (while it is a good one at heart) sounds pretentious and it annoys me when movies use the classic "white man is ignorant and evil" bs over and over again. It pisses me off.
'And speaking of the action there wasn't a whole lot of it.
Most of the action came at the last half hour of the film and that fight scene really wasn't all that memorable.'

Erm. So, do you expect the action scenes to be in the movie throughout the entire show? *rolls eyes* Might as well then rename the movie- Avatar: The Bashing and Tail-pulling between the Na'vis and Humans (Reason: Unknown).
^Guess I was being a lil sarcastic... Anyway, two hours of action-filled scenes would be just a little too much for me. Obviously they need some development for the story. Not just action throughout. And how about the scenes with the Thanator? Jake's training with the Na'vis? Flying with the Ikran? Toruk? And of course, the 'final' battle... Isn't that really enough?

"And on another note I prefer messages in movies to be subtle not as obvious as a punch to the face.Avatars message (while it is a good one at heart) sounds pretentious..."
link

"...and it annoys me when movies use the classic "white man is ignorant and evil" bs over and over again. It pisses me off."

Oh, don't worry. I'll remember to leave a note for James Cameron to remind him to use brown, black, red, yellow, purple, green and pink men in the sequel for Avatar.

*jots down in post-it note*
hace más de un año MovieGleek said…
Alice in Wonderland hasn't beaten Avatar. OK, it's currently the highest-grossing film of 2010, but it didn't topple the monster earnings of Avatar.
Haha. Mcmadness wants a movie where they come to an agreement ANNNDDDD there is action. Like what they fight for an hour and a half and then decide they shouldn't fight because killing is bad.

And although the message in Avatar was very obvious, it needs to be. Most Americans, most people in general, have very little clue as to how bad and how quickly the Earth is deteriorating because of our actions. So if it takes a punch to the face to realize that the Earth in Avatar could be a reality someday, then so be a freakin' Falcon punch to the face if necessary.
Yes MovieGleek, we already got that cleared up but thanks for reassuring :D
Well you know what?
You want to see a movie that has a more interesting plot, has characters that are well developed and an environmental plot that's subtle and has good action?
Here is a far greater movie then avatar and it was made on a smaller budget.
link
LOL. *can't help it* Well I know what? *snickers*

You're comparing a scifi movie to a Japanese fantasy film.

That's like comparing an apple to an orange. Both are sweet and yes, they're different.

If you're going to make comparisons like this, I think this discussion will never end. You, Mcmadness will probably stick to your opinions on Avatar and so would we to our own.
Yes it maybe a fantasy film but it shows a good way of making a good point without portraying the people of the world as "black and white" so to speak and I really wish avatars plot was more like this instead. I think it would be a far more interesting movie.
Maybe. So? What is done, is done.
Yes that is true what is done is done and I cant change that.
But one thing I know for sure is that Avatar is not the kind of movie that warrants the amount of money it made. Plus it deffinatly does not deserve the title of best movie ever made. (not saying that anyone here is claiming that and btw I admit my mistake about alice making more money)
Praise Jesus he admits his mistake!!!!

Anyway, of course Princess Mononoke was made with less money...it's an amine. They didn't have to go out and invent the pens, pencils, whatever they used, to create it haha.

And personally, I do claim Avatar as the best movie ever. Just to keep the argument alive...it also deserves every penny it made :)

I plan to see it again when it re-releases this summer.

Oh and I pre-ordered the DVD yesterday.

And I'm buying it again in November, for the special edition.

And I hope James Cameron takes all the money and creates a throne of cash with the money we've all spent on his movie. Wahahaha!!!
big smile
Btw rachaelwsz...you're my hero :)))
Well if you think its the greatest movie ever made thats your opinion and I respect that but I'm curious as to why you think that?