supernatural A supernatural Contest of Epic Proportions!

misanthrope86 posted on Apr 03, 2010 at 09:30AM
Ok people, I have recently started watching Supernatural due to my crazy obsession with an actor who guest stars in an episode (Michael Freakin' Weston! Woo!). Problem is, I started watching at the end of season 3, then watched the first couple of episodes of season 4, THEN the STUPID tv station decided to take a break from airing Supernatural after only showing about 3 or 4 episodes of season 4. I waited WEEKS and now finally they have started airing season 4 again! Yay!
My problem is, however, I haven't seen seasons 1, 2 and most of 3! So I am obviously WAY behind on the backstory of the entire show. I have picked up on a few things, but there are certainly parts of the show where I'm thinking "Ok, I know that that is significant, but I have no idea why..." And unfortunately, a crappy internet connection and somewhat limited free-time mean that I cannot watch the show online. Sadface.

So here is your challenge Supernatural fans: Fill me in on seasons 1, 2 and 3 of Supernatural. That is, in as much detail as possible, but without giving me a second-by-second description of every scene ever, tell me the important things that I need know in order to be able to keep up with season 4.

Guidelines:
1) Please just stick to descriptions of seasons 1, 2 and 3. I am currently watching season 4 and would prefer not to be spoiled for the rest of it or for seasons further down the track.
2) I'm not looking for opinions about shipping or how hot y'all think the characters are. Obviously, if there are relationships that are critical to the show, then tell me about them, but please don't sell me your favourite ship or character.
3) Please don't feel as though you have to write pages and pages and pages. I'm sure you all could! But I just need the bare bones so that I am not a completely lost puppy as I'm watching it!
4) Don't just link me to a description of the show. I have read many descriptions of the show, but they are not very detailed. I would like to hear fans recapping the show as fans tend to know what other fans think is important in the show.
5)Just post your entries in a comment in this forum! Feel free to add relevant pictures if you want to. And maybe even a YouTube link if there is a scene that you think I should see (but please do not post fanvideos unless they are a compilation of scenes/quotes).

Time-Frame:
Haven't decided on a deadline yet. I will wait and see how many (if any) of you are interested then I will post a deadline for entries.

The Prize:
The description that I feel best helps me catch up on the show will receive a delicious, well-earned prop from me and my heartfelt appreciation. What a prize!

Post away! :)
 Ok people, I have recently started watching supernatural due to my crazy obsession with an actor who
last edited on Apr 03, 2010 at 09:32AM

supernatural 20 respuestas

Click here to write a response...
hace más de un año doctor-reid said…
Hey, OK, I'll start for ya:

This first part is quite important, so it may have a little bit of detail =P

Season 1 begins with a flashback to November 2nd 1983. We see Mary and John Winchester with 4 year old Dean and 6 month old Sam. In the middle of the night, Mary wakes to Sam crying. In Sam's nursery, she sees who she thinks is John standing over the cot and heads back to bed. She notices the lights flashing and hears something from downstairs so, naturally, goes to see. She sees the TV on and John asleep on the sofa. She rushes back up to Sam's nursery and screams. John runs upstairs and finds only Sam in the crib. He walks to Sam and notices blood falling from the ceiling. Looking up, he sees Mary pinned to the roof, blood on her nightgown and suddenly fire fills the room (see pic). John grabs Sam and runs into the hallway, where Dean is standing. He tells Dean to take Sam outside and when his son does so, John goes back to try and save Mary. He can't and then leaves the house with Sam and Dean and so begins the life of hunting for John, Sam and Dean.

OK, maybe that was a lot of detail, but I hope it helps, as that is probably one of, if not, the most important scenes in the show and it shapes the other series.
last edited hace más de un año
 Hey, OK, I'll start for ya: This first part is quite important, so it may have a little bit of det
hace más de un año joose32 said…
big smile
Yeah good job doc! I think that's the most important scene.

Okay so I'll go next. It's pretty much just a carry on from doctor-reid's but I really think the pilot episode explains alot.

It's 22 years later. Sam (who's always tried to have a normal life away from hunting) is a college student at Standford University studying Law. He's got a girlfriend Jessica who he loves (yet he hasn't told her he hunts monsters), he's doing great in his studies. One night Dean breaks into his house and tells Sam their dad (John) was on a "hunting" trip and hasn't been home in a few days. Sam agrees to go along with Dean to try find him but just for the weekend. They find a motel John had been staying at and find that the last case he was working on was about a ghost called the "Woman in White" so they go finish his case.

In between finding Johns motel and finishing off the case Dean got arrested and came across one of the most important pieces to this Supernatural puzzle. "John's Journal" It's filled with alot of info on the Supernatural, what type of things he's hunted, how he killed them or stopped them, contacts, co-ordinates, details and dates of deaths that are connected, pretty much it's all Johns research.

After the hunt Dean drops Sam back off at Standford. When Sam gets home he lies on his bed and we are hit with a familiar scene. His girlfriend Jessica is pinned to the ceiling, bleeding from her stomach and flames erupt around her. Dean rushes in and saves Sam from the burning room.

Like his father Sam wants to hunt down the thing that killed the love of his life. So Sam and Dean start travelling around the country saving people and hunting things and looking for their father.

This was just to show why the boys are hunting hopefully it makes sense :D Hope you like the show it's AWESOME!! But thats just my biased opinion because I love Supernatural :D
 Yeah good job doc! I think that's the most important scene. Okay so I'll go next. It's pretty much j
That was a good carry on joose =) I shall continue... I can see this one ending up rather long =S sorry...

So the rest of season 1 is Sam and Dean searching for their father, finding clues of his whereabouts in various ways. They begin by going to the co-ordinates that are in Johns journal. The message said "DEAN 35-111" - which is Black Water Ridge in Colorado. There, the brothers, along with three others, are attacked by a Wendigo, Dean and a girl Hayley getting abducted by it in the process. They are saved and manage to defeat the creature, however come away with bad news. John was not there.

Dean comes to a conlusion - "I think Dad wants us to pick up where he left off... Ya know, saving people, hunting things. The family business."

However, Sam does not like that idea - "I gotta find Dad. I gotta find Jessica's killer. It's the only thing I can think about."

But Sam reluctantly agrees to go along and the pair continue to fight many evil beings while also still looking desperately for their father. Many of the episodes in the first season are them searching for their father, but the majority of them are stand-alone ones, with the boys simply travelling to a new town, finding a supernatural being and killing it - most of the time, one or both of them ends up injured in some way =S It is soon revealed that Sam is developing psychic abilities, starting as dreams that come true, then becoming visions when he is awake. He finds another guy like him too.

In an episode called 'Home', we find out that John is very much aware that his sons are looking for them, and he reveals to a friend, Missouri, that he does not want them to find him just yet. He wants to hunt the demon that killed Mary and Jessica. However, a few episodes later, when a demon named Meg captures the brothers in an attempt to lure John, the boys manage to escape and return to their hotel room to find their father standing there.

After an encounter with some daevas, Dean realises that John can't stay with them. He lets his guard down around his sons and that puts him in danger. They go their separate ways, but John returns when they catch wind of a gun called the Colt, made by Samuel Colt in 1835, which can kill anything - including the Yellow-Eyed Demon, the creature that killed Mary and Jess. Sam and Dean join forces with John to find the Colt and hunt the YED.

The demon Meg returns, knowing that the Winchesters have the Colt, and begins to murder John's friends until he agrees to give her the gun. However, they plan to trick her, handing over a fake gun and leaving the brothers with the real one so they can find the demon. One problem: Meg and her brother find out that it is a fake and capture John. She then goes after the boys, who have taken refuge at their family friend Bobby's house. She finds them, but they trap her inside a Devils Trap, rendering her powerless. She eventually tells them where John is and they exorcise her. Sam and Dean go to find their father and rescue him from the demons. They hide in an old cabin but soon realise that John is possessed by the Yellow Eyed Demon himself. He holds the brothers and torments them, telling Sam that Mary and Jess got in the way of his plans for Sam "and all the children like him". The demon then begins to torture Dean, rendering him unconscious. For a brief moment, John gains control, allowing the power pinning Sam to the wall to end. Sam grabs the Colt and the demon reminds him that if he kills the demon, John dies too. So Sam shoots him in the leg.

John begs for Sam to shoot him in the heart and end it right there, but Dean, who has regained consciousness, begs him not to. He lowers the gun and the demon escapes. Sam drives John and Dean to the hospital, they are only about 10 minutes away when....
CRASH!!!!!
A huge truck slams into the Impala. The driver is possessed and the final shot of the season is all three Winchesters lying unconscious in the wrecked car.

OMG i'm so sorry... it was sooo long!!!! I just got into it and didn't realise how much i had written.... forgive meeee =)....
 That was a good carry on joose =) I shall continue... I can see this one ending up rather long =S sor
hace más de un año misanthrope86 said…
big smile
No, these are great! They aren't too long! I'm loving them! Already, soooo many things have been explained! Keep it up!
Yay!! And I wanna thank YOU cos I'm havin soooo much fun doing this!!!! hehe

Next: Season 2 begins with Sam regaining consciousness in the car wreck. The demonic truck driver pulls the drivers door of the Impala and Sam weakly points the Colt at him. He threatens to kill the demon, but the driver reminds him slyly that he's saving the bullet in the Colt (which happens to be the last one) for someone else. Three guesses who that it =P Sam tells the demon not to try him and the demon quickly bails. Sam lowers the Colt and yells for John, who is breathing weakly, but does not respond. He then screams Dean's name, but Dean remains in deep unconsciousness.....

They are taken to hospital via helicopter, Sam unsure if his father and brother are even alive. At the hospital, Dean begins to walk around in his PJ's, trying to find Sam and John, but no one seems to notice him. He then finds something horrific. A familiar young man lying in a coma - himself. Sam is up and about and John is also awake, however Dean's doctor explains that they will not know how badly Dean's injuries are until he wakes up. "If he wakes up" he adds. While Sam and John try to think of a way to save Dean, he is wandering around the hospital, meeting a girl, Tessa, who is also having an out of body experience. John sends Sam to get some things for 'protection' however, Bobby sees the list and tells Sam that they are really for summoning a demon. He is furious at his father for wanting to summon the YED to have "some stupid macho showdown". Dean soon finds out that there is a reaper in the hospital and it is after him. Sam contacts Dean throught a ouijia (or however its spelt) board and hears about the reaper. Dean then realises that the reaper can appear in any form, including a pretty girl named Tessa. He confronts her and they discuss what will happen to him.

Meanwhile, Sam finds John's hospital bed empty and fears the worst. And he is right - John is in the boiler room summoning the demon. When the YED appears, he tells him that he wants to make a deal - the Colt for Dean's life. They agree that John will get to make sure Dean is safe before handing it over but the demon demands something else. Just before Dean agrees to go with Tessa and die, the YED comes and possesses her body, telling Dean that today is his lucky day and places her hand on his forehead. In another room, Dean wakes from his coma and Sam screams for help. The doctor is baffeled by Dean's miracle recovery - his injuries are gone. Dean cannot remember his experience with Tessa, just feels that something is not right.

John enters the room and asks if he and Dean can talk in private. He tells Dean that he is sorry for making him have to grow up too fast and that he is proud of him, before whispering something into his ear. We don't actually hear it ourselves, but from Dean's horrified reaction, we can tell that it's not good. John tells Dean to watch out for Sam before going back to his room. He places the Colt on the table and tells the YED "OK". Sam is walking back with a cup of coffee and passes John's room. He sees his father lying motionless on the floor. He runs and screams for help. The doctors work on John, while Sam helps Dean to the room. They stare in horror as the doctors try to save him. The closing line of the episode is:

"Time of death, 10.41am."

There's the season 2 premiere for ya =) Hope it was up to expectations =) If ya wanna watch, here's the final scene of the eppy for ya - the scene between John and Dean is beautiful and tbh, I cry every time I watch it ='(
link
 Yay!! And I wanna thank tu cos I'm havin soooo much fun doing this!!!! hehe Next: Season 2 begins
OK I'm rather frustrated with myself, I had typed a respose to this summarising almost the entire of season 2 and instead of pressing 'shift-W' i accidentally pressed something else and the entire window disappeared, taking everything I had typed with it.... :'( So after my temper-tantrum I had in my room for being so stupid, I am going to try again, but I am going to be slightly more brief than at first... and try not to do it again... lol

After Johns death, the boys stay with Bobby wihle Dean tries to fix the Impala. They find a 4 month old voicemail on Johns cell from a mysterious woman called Ellen, who claims she can help. They go to find her and when they arrive at her bar, 'The Roadhouse' they meet Ellen Harvelle, her daughter, Jo, and their friend Ash (who has a mullet!). Ellens late husband was a hunter and worked with John. Ash tries to make sense of John findings regarding the demon while the boys take on a hunt for Ellen regarding a 'killer clown' - yes, you did read correctly. During the hunt, Sam faces his fear of clowns and also confronts Dean about how he is coping with losing John. Dean gets furious and tells Sam he is fine, yelling "I'm dealing with Dad's death. Are you?!". Later, Dean takes out his rage on the Impala - see pic below. Also, here is a link to the scene, there is some beautiful acting from Jensen and Jared in this scene: link

The secret the John told Dean in the premiere is revealed: if Dean can't save Sam, he must kill him. Sam believes that it is to do with his powers, convinced that John thought that he would "go dark side". At the same time, a hunter that Sam and Dean have met, Gordon Walker, hears of Sam's abilities and the demons plans so decides to kill all the 'special children'. In order to get Sam, Gordon kidnaps Dean to lure him in. Sam, however, wins and saves Dean before getting Gordon arrested. On one hunt, Sam gets drunk and tells Dean to promise to go through with with John told him. Thinking that Sam will forget once he sobers up, Dean promises, however, Sam remembers and holds him to it. Later in the season, Sam becomes possessed by the demon Meg from season 1 who wanted to see if she could push Dean to kill his brother. They manage to exorcise her, but not before she torments Jo and shoots and toutures Dean.

They also have some issues with the law, when Dean's past comes back to haunt him. In season 1, a shapeshifter abducted Dean, stole his form and framed him for murders before being killed by Dean himself. However, when the boys are arrested for some murders in Baltimore, the cops are baffeled by Dean's obvious survival. They get away, however when they are later caught up in a hostage situation, they are in trouble again. FBI Agent Henrikson makes it clear that he wants nothing more than to lock Sam and Dean up for good. Once again, they barely escape capture and realise just how screwed they are.

They encounter a Trickster, who can make reality out of nothing, who fakes his own death and returns in season 3. They also encounter a Djinn, a genie-like creature, who captures Dean putting him in a trance where he is in a fantasy world where his mother is alive, his father died peacefully, Sam is engaged to Jessica and they do not hunt. But Dean realises that it is wrong and manages to wake up from the spell.

In the second last episode, the YED takes Sam and the other 'special children' to a remote town in South Dakota and leaves them to fight for survival. The demon reveals to Sam in a dream that he only wants one to come out alive, to be his leader. While Dean and Bobby search frantically for Sam, he is having trouble with the others as they turn on each other. By the time Dean and Bobby get there (one of the other children sent Dean a vision, a painful one may I add, of where they were), there are only two left - Sam and Jake. They arrive just in time to see Jake stab Sam from behind. While Bobby runs to catch Jake, Dean cradles Sam in his arms. He tells Sam to hold on, however his baby brother dies in his arms: link (no matter how many times I watch this, I cry... I'll admit, I just watched it and I'm crying as I type this...I'm such a wuss lol).

So Anyways, Bobby tells Dean that they should bury Sam, but Dean says not yet and tells him to go. Dean sits over Sam's dead body in the motel and talks to him, saying that he let him down by failing to do his job (sorry another clip comin ur way link ) He then rushes to a crossroads and summons a crossroads demon. She agrees to bring Sam back but won't give Dean the usual 10 years to live. She gives him one. Sam comes back to life and they go after the demon. The find him but not before the Devils Gates - the door to hell - is opened and hundreds of demons are freed. The YED throws Dean into a gravestone and is about to shoot him with the Colt (which he still has from John's deal) but a figure appears behind him - IT'S JOHN! He grabs yellow eyes long enough for Dean to get the Colt and shoot. The bullet hits him in the heart and it is over. The demon is dead and John smiles at his sons before disappearing. Sam asks Dean what happened after Jake stabbed him, and soon finds out about the deal. He is devastated and tells his brother that he will save him, but Dean reveals that one of the rules for the deal is that if anyone tried to get him outta the deal, it will be off and Sam will drop dead. Bobby and Ellen tell them that lots of demons got out and they need to stop them. Dean smirks and says that they have work to do and that is the end of season 2 =)

Hope you enjoyed!
 OK I'm rather frustrated with myself, I had typed a respose to this summarising almost the entire of
cool
Jeez doc! You make me wanna go re-watch the seasons from the beginning now :D
You're doing an AWESOME job!!
last edited hace más de un año
big smile
Really? Aww thanks =D *grins like an idiot*

I hope I'm not taking over, you can tell me to shut up if ya want... lol
big smile
Hahaha what do you mean? I'm waiting to read the rest of your review :D
big smile
Really? woop! hahaha lol ok then... so... where to start.... Oh first of all, I forgot to mention that in the season 2 finale, we find out what the YED was doing in Sam's nursery in 1983 - he was dripping demon blood into Sam's mouth. Also, when Mary entered the room, the first thing she said was "You." - so she knew the YED....

Season three begins with demons running (or, well floating, as they're smoke) amok everywhere. Among them, are the 7 deadly sins, who can infect a human with their sin with simply a touch (as lust proves, but placing her hand on Dean's shoulder and he is immediately seduced by her and starts making out with her... lucky little bi... *composes self* sorry)

Anywho, Dean is constantly prepared to risk his own life in almost like suicide missions (or more like kamakazi, as Dean corrects Sam) and Sam is not happy, vouching that he will get Dean out of the deal, no matter what. Dean tells him that it is his last year so "why don't we kill some evil sons of bitches and we raise a little hell". We are also introduced to Ruby, a mysterious blonde girl who has taken in interest in Sam. We later find out that she is a demon who claims she wants to help Sam and Dean defeat the other demons, providing a knife which can kill anything (like the Colt, only a blade)

We also meet Bela, a British girl who is a thief, stealing things to sell on to make her lots of money:
Bela: "I procure unique items for a select clientele."
In other words... a thief. She is a thorn in the brothers sides for a while. Gordon, who is still in jail, sends two of his buddies after Sam and Dean, wanting to kill Sam for Gordon, however, due to a lucky rabbits foot, that plan gets screwed up for them: link (very amusing scene, providing the classic line from Dean: "I'm amazing... I'm Batman.")

With the help from Ruby, Bobby manages to fix the Colt, allowing the brothers to kill more demons. When Dean and a girl demon get trapped in a basement together, she reveals to him that everyone in hell knows of the deal and that they were waiting for Sam to step up to the plate as the leader of the demon army. Gordon manages to escape from prison and begins to hunt the brothers down again. This time, however, he gets captured by a vengeful vampire who holds a grudge against Gordon for killing his family. In revenge, he turns Gordon into what he hates most - a vampire. Gordon knows that he must kill himself, but not before he takes Sam with him. Sam and Gordon fight, and Sam is losing, but when Gordon begins to feed of an unconscious Dean, Sam fights back with more rage and manages to take out Gordon with no weapon!

We also learn that Ruby was human once, and was also a witch, however she claims to remember what it was like to be human, hence she is helping the boys. She tells Sam that there is a way to save Dean, but then tells Dean that she can't. Also, while on a case, Bela 'helps' the boys, but really, while they are distracted she steals the Colt. We initially think that she plans to sell it, but the real reason is far more sinister - when she was 14, she made a deal with a demon for her parents to be killed. Her ten years are almost up and she wants to give the Colt to the demon holding her contract to try and get out of it. Just before the hellhounds come for her, she reveals to Dean that the demon who holds her contract, Lilith, also holds Dean's.

The brothers also run into the Trickster from season 2. He puts Sam and Dean into a time loop where every day is Tuesday and every day, Dean dies (whilst starting off sad and shocking, the episode proves to be very amusing, with Dean dying in many many hilarious ways). Sam is the only one who remembers and it is revealed by the Trickster that he wanted Sam to learn a lesson - he can't save his brother.

We reach the season finale and Dean has mearly hours to live. He tried to lighten the mood with a rendition of Bon Jovi's 'Wanted Dead or Alive' (this is rather amusing as it was written into the script that Jensen, who is quite a remarkable singer, had to sing off key to match Jared's, to put it bluntly, tone-deafness lol link ) The closer he gets to hell, the worse things become for him - he begins to see demons real faces under their human faces, which proves to be rather handy. They track down Lilith with Bobby and Ruby and find that she has possessed a little girl and is holding her family hostage. When Sam goes to kill the little girl, even the mother begs him to do it, he is stopped by Dean, who has noticed that Lilith is no longer in her.

Midnight arrives. Dean's time is up. Dean tells Sam that he has to let him go. The hellhounds turn up and Sam, Dean and Ruby run for it, barricading themselves inside a room. Ruby tells Sam to give her the knife but just before he does, Dean yells that it's not Ruby anymore. It's Lilith. But she is too fast, pinning Dean to the table and Sam to the wall. She lets the hellhounds in and they begin to tear Dean apart. She then holds her hand up to kill Sam and a bright light fills the room. However, the light fades and Sam is fine. Lilith is clearly frightened that Sam did not die. He picks up the knife and is about to kill her but she bails. Ruby's host body collapses to the ground next to Dean's. Sam kneels next to his lifeless brother (see pic) and sobs. We then see Dean suspended by hooks in Hell screaming for help. The last line of the season is Dean yelling:

"SAM!"

Hope you liked it =) Here's the final scene of the season for ya link Enjoy =)
 Really? woop! hahaha lol ok then... so... where to start.... Oh first of all, I forgot to mention tha
hace más de un año shomill said…
Hey, misanthrope86, just give the prop to doc. She's got the show freakin' memorized! (I'm not knocking it- I'm doing my best to memorize the show that good, myself, lol.)
blush
Heh.... sorry... got a little carried away... =S lol =P
hace más de un año shomill said…
I meant it as a compliment, doc!
tongue
I know, I was just saying =P I now see what my parents mean when they say if I had a uni exam in SPN I would ace it haha XD
Ha ha ha! Well, Other people can still participate if they want to! Its up to them!
blush
Heh... wow... i feel bad now... i TOTALLY got carried away.... lol but yeh... please people, if i forgot anything, i will ban myself from adding plot points to this forum if i have to... hehe =P *rolls eyes innocently like Dean* hehe
 Heh... wow... i feel bad now... i TOTALLY got carried away.... lol but yeh... please people, if i for
big smile
Please don't feel bad! What you have done is awesome! You have set the benchmark and now it is up to other people to meet that benchmark!
big smile
*grins* thanks then =) I hope what I wrote helped you understand stuff better XD
laugh
Yeah doc. Don't feel bad. Everything you wrote (typed :P) here is Awesome!!
You just forgot to mention how good a sketch artist Sam is as you can see from the picture provided below XD

(for misanthrope86: This picture is from Season 3 episode 5 "Bedtime Stories" when the victim describes his killer and Sam pretending to be the sketch artist draws this. Lol at the tattoo Sam included. He is truly an artist XD)
 Yeah doc. Don't feel bad. Everything tu wrote (typed :P) here is Awesome!! tu just forgot to mentio
big smile
Thanks for all the help guys! The propagge goes to doctor-reid for her epic responses! Thanks also to joose32 for your responses!