Lisa Cuddy looks at her drink.
- tu don't look so joyful tonight Dr. Cuddy β Another doctor tells her.
They are on the open bar of tonight's gala. Cuddy has a three dΓa medical convention in Chicago.
- I got the news that aβ¦friend of mine died yesterday β she says
- Sorry to hear that β the man nods and walks away.
Cuddy goes to her table, but she doesn't sit down. She is in a bad mood to hear the speech.
- Lisa? β
Cuddy hears her name but it takes her a while to react. She turns around to see who is talking to her
- Lucas? β
- Hi β he walks to her. He is clean shave now and wearing a suit. β You're here for the medical convention, right? β
- Yes, I am β she smiles timidly β and what are tu doing here? β
- I work for the hotel. I'm head of security; I'm making sure everything is going smoothly tonight β
- tu live in Chicago now β
- Yeahβ¦so what's wrong? β
- What's wrong? β
- Yes, tu have the "something is wrong" face β
- Uhmβ¦no. Nothingβ¦well β She hesitates β House died yesterday and tomorrow is his funeral β
- Ohβ¦sorry to hear that β
- Really? β
- I'm not the kind of person the gets happy when some one dies β
- Of course you're not β
- So what happened that tu guys broke up and you're not longer dean of medicine? β
Cuddy frowns β How did tu know that? β
- If House was still your boyfriend, you'd be inicial crying. And your tag says the name of another hospital β
Cuddy sees the little peace of paper, indicating her place on the table. βObservation and logic β
- Want to talk about it? β
- I'm sure tu don't want to hear it β
- tu need to talk to someone and I'm the only one here who knows the context β
For the siguiente 15 minutos Cuddy tells Lucas what happened to her relationship to House.
- Shit β Lucas exclaims β Sorry, I meanβ¦what a mess β
- Rub it in β
- C'mon, I didn't mean it like that β Lucas clarifies β So why aren't tu going to the funeral? Get some closure β
- A long time I go, I come to terms with the fact that I will never get closure with House. Not face to face, I mover on β Cuddy says β Besides, he's dead! What's the point? β
- tu can talk about him with other people, heard good jokes. Funerals are the best place to hear good jokes β
- I don't want to see Wilson o Stacy and say "Oh House, what a great doctor he was. Remember that timeβ¦?" β
- Remember that time he crash his car against my inicial β Lucas completes the phrase.
- People told me: "It's just stuff, thank God tu are okay" But when I saw the things I bought for my home, that I worked hard for, the hole in my house, the place I picked because I thought it was beautifulβ Cuddy smiles β And it got destroyed, and as House walked away it hit me. He didn't give a damn about me β
- That's harsh β
- Yeah, so what's the point? Why would I go to his funeral? I loved him, but nowβ¦β
- Okay that's enough β Lucas stands up β Let's go, let's get out of here β
- And go where? β
- I'm not sure yet, but tu need to cheer up, maybe some comfort food. Have tu ever tried Chicago deep dish pizza? You're going to amor it! β
Lucas offers his hand
- Okay what the hell β Cuddy takes his hand and gets up.
- How are tu supposed to eat this thing? β Cuddy looks at the massive pizza in front of her.
- tu just dig in β
- Alright, tu win. This is delicious β Cuddy tells him. He just nods
- So how is Rachel? β
Cuddy studies his eyes, she knows he's genuinely interested in knowing β She has a personality, she doesn't talk much, she's a quiet girl, but she's smart and she likes school β
- I'm happy to hear β He takes a sip of his cerveza β Mom and sister? β
- Good, all good β Cuddy responds β So let me ask you. Why did tu quit being a P.I.? β
- I'm too old for that crap. Too many late nights, hanging around with the wrong people in the wrong placesβ¦also now I get a steady paycheck β
- And what does a head of security does? β
- People misbehave at hotels. Robberies, altercations between guests, some people get arrested and call the hotel for help, a politician beats up a prostitute and she's hiding in the bathroomβ¦solve things like that β
- I never understood that about you. You're a nice guy but your work seems soβ¦I don't knowβ¦wrong β
- I don't kill people β
- No butβ¦I don't get it tu solve problems for the wrong kind of people β
- They are the right kind if they have the right amount of money β Lucas jokes but Cuddy doesn't think is funny.
- Okay, fine listen. For me it's not about morally right o morally wrong, it's about dignity, that your life has value. Sure I let a bad politician get away, but that prostitute didn't have to deal with the police, the press and she went inicial with enough money to not work for a mes and believe me, most prostitutes don't like what they do, even if they say so β
- So tu do what tu have to do, and make the most of it β
- Yes, I meanβ¦how many times as Dean of Medicine did tu have to turn sick people away because they didn't have insurance? β
- Yeah but it bothered me. Nothing seems to bother you. You're a nice guy and at the same timeβ¦amoral. A unique combination β
- That sounds like a compliment, I'll take it β
- This is delicious but I can't eat one mΓ‘s bite β
- Do tu want a drink? β Lucas asks her
- Do tu want me to get drunk? β
- It'll be fun. You're away from home, no one knows tu here. tu can go swim naked in the fountains β
- Well, there is a heat wave β she smiles.
- See? tu already have your excuse for the police β
They order their drinks.
- So Lucasβ¦what else is new in your life? Do tu have a girlfriend? β Cuddy inquires
- No I don't have a girlfriend β Lucas respuestas β Do you? β
- A girlfriend? Now that would be a big change. β Cuddy smiles. β No, I don't have a relationship. I spent a aΓ±o just por myself, I needed time alone, then I dated a couple of guys β
- At the same time? β
- Noooo. A lawyer first, and then an architect. My sister must have big black book with every single man available in the state. She keeps trying to introduce me to Mr. Right β Cuddy laughs β But I know that's impossible, doesn't exists β
- Why? tu don't think you'll ever fall in amor again? β
- If I wasn't drinking, I wouldn't be telling tu anything of this β Cuddy takes another sip β I suck at relationships, tu know it. What can I do? β
- Did tu broke up with them o did they break up with you? β
- How is that relevant? β
- Oh, tu broke with them β Lucas grins β I have to askβ¦.Has anyone ever broke up with you? β
- Uhmβ¦No, I always have ended the relationships β
- tu need someone to break up with tu β
- Just because I ended the relationships it doesn't mean it didn't hurt β
- Not, it's not the same β Lucas raises his hand to call the waiter β Hi, would tu broke up with her? β
- What? β The waiter looks at them confused
- Just say: "It's not you, it's me" She needs to hear it at least one time in her life β
- No β The waiter says β Why would I break up with her? I think she's hot β
- Aw yeah! β Cuddy shouts β tu got yourself a big tip β
The waiter nods and walks away.
- See, tu can get a new relationship, tu can change β
- People don't change β
- Oh c'mon β Lucas laughs β Are tu serious quoting House? β
- Despite everything, House was a good observer of human interactions and life in general β
- I'm baffled that tu believe in the view of life of a man who was in rehab, a mental institution, prison and actually end up accidently killing himself β Lucas smirks β It's like taking life consejos from Amy Winehouse because she was a great songwriter β
Cuddy smiles β Fine, tu got a point, but I still think people don't change β
- Listen, people change for 3 reasons: they suffer enough, the got tired of the same things, and/or they learn the lesson β
- Learning the lesson is the hardest way to change β Cuddy says β So why did tu change? β The doctor asks the ex-detective β New city, new clothes, new attitude β
- I got the job offer and I moved here. The clothes comes with the job too, but I don't feel like I have a different attitude β
- tu seem mΓ‘s mature. So of those 3 reasons, why did tu change? β
Lucas stares at her, but Cuddy doesn't feel uncomfortable.
- Want to go see a band? β Lucas perks up β its a Hawaiian exhibitionist band that plays funkier versions of old Motown songs β
- What do tu mean por exhibitionist? β
They enter the bar; the band is playing "Dancing in the streets".
- Oh they started with Martha and the Vandellas β Lucas tells Cuddy.
- They sound great and they are half naked β
- I told they were exhibitionist. Come on β He takes her hand β We are getting VIP treatment baby β
They walk through the crowd to a mesa, tabla siguiente to the stage.
- Best part it's the carpet. tu can take off your high heels and dance all night long β
- Excellent plan β Cuddy says β But first, cheers β
- Cheers β
They drink up a shot of bourbon. The siguiente song is on.
- Okay let's dance β Ooo and I'm ready for love, I'm truly ready for love
Your wonderful sweet sweet love, right now I'm ready for love
I've tried to shield my corazΓ³n from love's tender touch
'Cause to lose in amor would hurt so much
But as I softly walk in my solitude
I buscar my corazΓ³n and found there's a need for you
And for the 1st time I feel alone
'Cause I need a amor to call my own
And only you, tu have a love, a amor I need, oh to comfort me
The concierto ends an hora and a half later. Lucas and Cuddy go to talk with the band.
- Magnum! β The singer greets him β How are you? How's the wahine? How's the 'ohana? β
- Fine thanks β Lucas respuestas β This is my friend Lisa β
- Hi! Did tu enjoy the show? β
- Yeah, tu guys are fantastic β
- Aw yeah! We are! Want take a picture? Most women want to take a picture β
- I can see the appeal β Cuddy blushes a little β You're barely naked β
- I'll take the picture, just get in the middle Lisa β The doctor stand between the guys in the band. β Say cheese! β
Lucas shows her the photo. β tu should your mom this β
- Oh I am. She'll be proud β
- Let me see β The bajo player asks β Oh we look so handsome, tu sure know how to take pictures botella doble, magnum β
- Why are tu calling him "Magnum"? Is itβ¦is it because of the tv show? β Cuddy asks them.
- Yeah "Magnum P.I." β The singer opens a beer.
- We met him back in Oahu, whatβ¦two years agoβ¦something like that, anyway he was being a Private Eye without a license β
Cuddy frowns β Were tu on vacation? β
- No, I lived there for six months after we broke up β
- Oh β The singer says β So tu twoβ¦uhβ¦sorry botella doble, magnum β he pats Lucas on the back β We're keeping the party going, do tu want to come with us? β
- I don't know. Lisa? β
- I think it's late β Cuddy says.
It's a hot night in Chicago. Cuddy and Lucas wait for cab.
- I could go for a walk β Cuddy tells Lucas β If tu don't mind β
- Sure β
They walk outside the limits of lincoln Park.
- So tu lived in Hawaii β Cuddy says.
- tu couldn't leave it alone β
- I'm sorry, but I think it's weird that tu hide it β The doctor tells him β tu made me believe that tu moved directly from Jersey β
- For someone who claims to have her heartbroken, tu sure are insensitive to others β
Cuddy stops walking β tu left because of me β
Lucas takes a big breath β Yeah, I just didn't want to admit it β
- So tu lied? β
- What can I say? I got better at lying β
- Lucas, what I was going to do? Make fun of you? β
- Not but I didn't want to admit it, okay? I didn't want to admit that I couldn't stand living in my apartment watching my sofΓ‘ where we first had sex. I couldn't stand drive near the calle where we bought our home. I couldn't sleep knowing tu were a few miles away already screwing House. I know it's stupid, and I didn't it want to admit β
- I understand, tu were angry at me for the break up β
- Oh Lisa, tu know that wasn't the problem β
Cuddy looks at him. Lucas is calm and waiting for her to say something.
- I was confused, Lucas β she finally says.
- No tu weren't β He takes a step closer to her
- So I'm a lying bitch? β
- Your words β
- Listen Lucas, I wasn't sure what I wanted and β
β Please, tu weren't some 15 aΓ±o old girl who doesn't know her feelings. tu knew tu were in amor with House, tu always knew. And yet tu dated me, tu looked me at my eyes told me that tu loved, told me tu wanted to be my wife. How was that not deceiving me? β
Cuddy looks away. And Lucas feels ashamed of making this claims after so long.
- Lisa, I sort of knew tooβ¦maybeβ¦Listen, I'm not angry, I got over it but it's 2 am we ere half drunk and β
- Did tu see it? β Cuddy says β Did tu see our future together? β
- Whaβ¦yeah, I saw a future with tu β
- How was it? How did tu picture it? β
Lucas half smiles β Why do tu want to know? β
- I just do β Cuddy looks at him with sadness and Lucas gives in.
- We get married in June β He tells her β A small wedding, but tu still find a way to stress out about it. tu wear a white dress mostrando your shoulders and our first dance it's with "Keep it comin' love" because tu want a happy party song β
- We have two honeymoons, the first it's just tu and me in Los Cabos for a week. Then we go to New York with Rachel, our first family trip β Lucas continues β tu go back to work and tu feel guilty, and Wilson makes tu feel even guiltier. One dΓa House just quits, and tu feel bad about it until tu find out tu are pregnant β
- Really? β
- Oh yeah! I knock tu up β Lucas nods β A few hiccups during the pregnancy and we have a baby boy, we name him Ernest after your grand father. tu don't like the idea of coming back to work. I don't longer like being away from inicial so I quit my P.I. job. I do some security jobs as a consultant but I'm mainly a stay inicial dad, tu envy me a little. β Lucas closes his eyes for a moment, he can picture it β We have our routine, tu like morning sex, breakfast, tu take Rachel to school and I pick her up, I cook dinner, tu come inicial tired from work. tu don't get much time with the kids β
Lucas opens his eyes β But tu make up for it on Sundays mornings. tu let the kids get in our bed, watch caricaturas and eat pancakes. That's all I have, I only imagined our first 3 years of marriage. See? I wasn't really committed β
- I couldn't see it β Cuddy tells him β I couldn't see a future with tu β
- tu didn't amor me β
- I don't think I ever imagine a future with anyone β Cuddy sighs.
- Then tu have a problem, sorry nothing I can do β Lucas jokes and makes Cuddy smile.
- I didn't want to go the funeral because death makes tu think about your own life. What you've done, how are tu going to be remember β
- Rachel will remember tu as a great mom. You're great doctor β
- And that's it? β
- tu still have time to cure cancer o liberate a small country β
Cuddy smiles again - How do tu want to be remember? β
- Good husband, good father. I'm a simple man β Lucas shrugs β Come on. What the hell are we doing talking in the calle at 2 am? Let's go back to the hotel β
Back at the hotel lobby Lucas pushes the elevator button.
- Fun night, thank tu β Cuddy says
- No problem β
The elevator doors open. Cuddy takes Lucas hand β Want to go to my room? β
Lucas hesitates β I should go inicial β
- Alright β Cuddy gets in the elevator, but she doesn't let go of Lucas' hand, she doesn't pull him, she's not holding him tight. He steps in with her.
- Did tu see it? β The night shift receptionist tells the doorman. β The head of security with that guest β
- Maybe he's only walking her back to her room β
- Yeah, right.β The receptionist shakes his head β What a dog β
The phone wakes Cuddy up.
- Ow β She rolls over to answer it β Yeah? β
- This is the front desk; tu requested a wake up call at 7 am β
- Thank tu β Cuddy hangs up.
- Really 7 am? β Lucas says.
- I wanted to hit the gym β Cuddy cuddles up with Lucas again. β Uhmmβ¦you're still here β
- Are tu disappointed? β
- No, it's the when we were dating, tu weren't there every morning β
- Yeah, women don't like that β
- I'm not reproaching it β
- I know β Lucas gives Cuddy a kiss β I need to take a ducha, ducha de and go to work β
- tu work here β
He gets up β Yep I keep a clean suit in my office. tu go back to sleep -
Cuddy wakes up again later in the morning. She stretches out in cama and yawns.
- Sure, two hoursβ¦bye β Lucas is in the bathroom talking on the phone. He hangs up and walks out β Hey, I didn't want to wake tu up β
- It's okay. tu already take your ducha, ducha de β
- Yes β He sits on the cama siguiente to her β So β
- So β
- I liked this β
- Me too β
They both smile. β Goodbye Lisa β Lucas gets up β Oh and I ordered tu breakfast, on the house β
- Thank tu β
- It was a fantastic talk β A doctor says β Don't tu think Dr. Cuddy? β
- Yes, Dr. Woodrow is a great speaker β
They are coming out of conference.
- siguiente conference is at 3 pm. It gives us a couple of housr to eat out β A blonde doctor comments.
- Uhm β Cuddy sees the front escritorio β Let me first check with a friend β
- Sure β
- Hi β Cuddy talks with the receptionist
- Hello, what can I do for you? β The young lady asks
- I was wondering if I could talk with Lucas Douglas, your head of security β
- Is there a problem? Is it something missing from your room? β
- No, no. It's a personal matter β
- Oh Mr. Douglas is out for lunch with his wife. He should be returning shortly β
- His wife? β
- Yes β The receptionist says β Oh I think that's him arriving β
Cuddy turns around she can Lucas and woman through the glass doors, just outside the hotel.
- So thanks for lunch β The woman says β I need it a break from work β
- You're closer to the deadline β
- Yep, but only one page left to go β
- I'm so sorry about last night β
- tu should've called me. I understand if tu have to stay here at work β
- Yeah β¦βLucas holds her hands β God I really amor tu β
- I don't know why tu add the "really" but I amor tu too β She kisses him β See tu at inicial β
The detective enters the hotel. He looks up and encounters Cuddy. They stand there for a moment.
- Lisa β Lucas takes a step forward.
- Dr. Cuddy, are tu coming with us? β The other doctors ask her on their way out.
- Yeah sure β Cuddy smiles β Let's go β
Lucas watches leave with her colleagues.
After a busy dΓa at the medical convention Cuddy returns to her room. She's tired and just wants to get some sleep and leave early tomorrow morning.
She notices the lights are on. She walks slowly and sees Lucas sitting on her bed.
- Damn it Lucas, tu scared me β She tells him β And I'm pretty sure is illegal to break in a guest room β
- I'm sorry β He looks sad β I'm really sorryβ
- Yeah sure β Cuddy crosses her arms β I feel like a fool, so congrats β
- What? β Lucas frowns β I didn't do it in purpose β
- tu told me how much I hurt you, and now we are even β
- It wasn't revenge; I wasn't going to jeopardize my marriage to get back at tu β Lucas gets up
- Then why did tu lie? β
- Because I'm an idiot, alright? I'm a stupid idiot β He rubs the back of his head β and I thought tu weren't going to talk to me if I'd told tu I'm married β
- I needed someone to talk; I didn't need to sleep with someone else's husband β
- I'm sorry, I didn't want to hurt tu β
- Why didn't tu say something? I would've stop β
- Iβ¦I feltβ¦I thought I was getting the closure I never had with tu β
Cuddy sits down β You're an idiot β
- And I feel like a piece of shit too β
- Can tu tell me the truth now? β
- I lived in Hawaii for 6 months, I met Jess there, when she came back to Chicago I followed her β
- Do tu amor her? β
- I do, I'm in amor with her. I know it doesn't seem like it right now, but she lights up my world β
- And tu married her β
- A navidad wedding β
- What does she do? β
- She is an illustrator for children's libros β
- Do tu have kids? β
- See if I say yes, I would be even mΓ‘s of an asshole for cheating on my wife β
- So that's a yes? β
- We have twin girls: Emma and Mindy β
- Twins! That's great, I bet they are a handful β
- Jess works from home, she takes care of them must of the time, but I amor my little girls, amor spending every minuto I can with them β Lucas can help to smile
- It's funny last night, I thought I was the reason tu changed, but tu changed because you're a husband and father β
- I learn my lesson β Lucas shrugs.
- And what is it? β
- tu can get over a broken corazΓ³n β He answers.
- It sounds easy β
- But it isn't β
- tu know Lucas, there are days when I know I made the right choice, I was in amor with House, he was in amor with me too, I had to explore that relationship, I owned it to myself β
- But there are days, like yesterday, like today, when I regret so bad not choosing you. I could've had everything with you; I could've let myself truly fall for you, I could've... β she can finish the sentence.
Lucas gets closer and gently kisses her forehead β tu won't regret anything tomorrow, and I won't miss tu anymore β
- Goodbye Lucas β
- Goodbye Lisa β
The siguiente dΓa Lisa arrives home. Jules, her sister, and Rachel are waiting for her.
- Mommy β
- Hello sweetie β Cuddy hugs her daughter β Oh I miss tu so much β
- How was the medical convention? β Jules asks
- It was alright β Cuddy sits down with Rachel still in her arms. β I ran into Lucas β
- Really? β
- Yeah, we talk for a few minutes. He got married, has kids now β
- Oh Lisa, in the same week one of your ex boyfriends dies and tu find out other ex got married? That's bad timing β
- I'm fine. I think I'm learning a lesson and I have time β
- Time to do what? β
- Everything I want β The end.
I honestly will be gladly surprise if anyone leaves a review.
Thanks for reading.
I'm finally done.
Also avaible at ff.net link