fanpop Suggestions and Ideas?

dave posted on Apr 09, 2007 at 10:57PM
Hey Everyone,

The guys and I thought it might be helpful to tap into the brilliant minds of our passionate community of users to make Fanpop a better place. Thank you all for all of your support so far, we really appreciate all the kind messages we've received and helpful feedback. Our goal is to make Fanpop the best place on the web to find content and community that you care about. I thought that maybe we could start a thread with ideas and suggestion on what you would like to see from Fanpop. I can't guarantee that we can implement all of them, but we always take our users suggestions very seriously. So feel free to post your thoughts here!

Dave

fanpop 1137 respuestas

Click here to write a response...

Showing Replies 151-200 of 1137

hace más de un año Laura90 said…
I agree with everything that aleciane has said about repeated images. I have been noticing images that other users or myself have already posted. I'm sure that I'm guilty of doing this myself, but I do try and check the images first, unless there is a HUGE amount to look through.
It would be much easier for everyone if there was a way to solve this.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention that I have considered to say to the user who has posted the image (politely!) that it has already been posted but always decide against it because I don't want others to think I'm being rude and take offence ( as aleciane example shows)
last edited hace más de un año
hace más de un año maybeastarbucks said…
I'd like to suggest the thought of a new prop! I've noticed lately several props being given just for being a great user. Most of them go into comments but some end up falling under soapbox or video and some people who have those never even wrote a soapbox or posted a video. Maybe a prop for coolness or greatness or something... I dunno... just a suggestion...
hace más de un año alinazeer said…
Is it possible to get "my updates" box refreshes automatically like we see at nfl scores where we dont need to refresh and it updates automatically because its a hassle of refreshing all the time almost every two mins just to see if someone has updated any pick question or have uploaded any videos etc.
I don't know if anything can be done about this, but it seems a lot of my posted YouTube videos are breaking. Is there anything that can be done, or not?
In my activity box i am viewing the comments that i have posted earlier and when i click on them it takes me to that particular pick or link where i have posted these comments but that feature doesnt work for the comments that i have posted on photos. Is that just me or it happens with everyone?
hace más de un año kathiria82 said…
No it's not just you alinazeer. You also can't see the comments you make on videos. If you read a few comments up I already mentioned this and Dave said he would fix it.
hace más de un año patrickf220 said…
videos cant become no longer available
hace más de un año slytherin360 said…
here are some of my suggestions :)

When you create a spot, there should be more design options, like backgrounds, layouts, and font

Comments that are added to a pick should show up on the activity box

There should be general comment box in each spot, to say general things about the person/movie/etc. (instead of just a forum)

Beside a user's name, it should say whether they are online or not, this makes it easier to chat.

It would be nice if you didn't have to refresh your update box

Maybe there should be more prop selections

Quizes and trivia would be very cool

hace más de un año megloveskyle said…
I am getting really upset at the fact that there are so many perverts on Fanpop. They post disgusting videos and images. It seems that nothing ever happens when I report the videos, images or person. It's disgusting.
hace más de un año harold said…
May I suggest a reworking of the invite a friend e-mail template? I finally tried using this feature, only to discover that the e-mail invitation reads exactly like spam: "Someone is a fan of you! Click here to find out who: <link>" Nobody in their right mind is going to click on that, and many e-mail clients will go so far as to flag mail from fanpop as spam.

My recommendation is that you allow the user sending the invite to add some personalized text, much in the way we can when "sharing a link". If the invitation says "Hey, this is harold and I think you'd really like this, especially the Animal Humor spot" (for example), I think there would be a lot more invitations that work all around.

I feel silly that I didn't see this sooner.
I am totally agree with Harold and i think you guys should change it to something else or it really looks a spam email.
hace más de un año HouseFreak said…
I completely agree! I myself got 3 of them and deleted them with out a thought. I didnt even realize they were from Fanpop, or someone I might know.
It would be cool to see a view count on videos like the way YouTube does.
I think it would be helpful to be able to view images and videos and links as Rated and Unrated the way we can view picks as Answered and Unanswered.
hace más de un año knifewrench said…
OH MY GOSH! I finally read the whole page in one night! Wow I'm tired. Anyway here's some stuff....

Different types of media, e.g. online games (woo! miniclip.com)

Please, I know it keeps popping up but I'd really like a "reply to comment" or "keep me updated on this content" button.

occasionally my updates box dissapears and it tells me I have (at the moment 90-something) messages and the number has been increasing since I started.

more stuff in the morning, as you can tell from the message i'm VERY VERY tired and getting irratable

_________________________________________­___­___­___­__

Good morning Fanpop! Right, back to ideas and suggestions:

I have had a crazy idea; I know there is a problem with not being allowed to edit picks, e.g. spelling mistakes etc. Anyway, I thought that each spot could have spot president!!!! when a total of 200 fans (who have joined the spot) have voted for ONE candidate, the spot president is decided, it will be like a pick because you can change your vote at anytime and if at any point the current spot president is losing then his or her position as president must be removed. If it is a tie then the spot has no president until someone is winning. Since the president will be have 200 or more votes for him/her, he/she will be trusted by the other fans and therefore allowed to decide other things, such as removing repeat picks, (and other things; I'm a bit rushed this morning); you can also vote to NOT have a president and if that choice wins then the spot will be like they are now. So what does everyone think?
hace más de un año Snerkie said…
just because a spot has 200 people all of them wouldn't vote on the pick. I think some people might get a bit upset over it like if they don't win and others could get power to the head D: no one likes an ego trip, lol.
hace más de un año PkmnTrainerJ said…
You can always just message on the Fanpop four to change a pick, I don't think the presidency idea would be good for certain people's egos.
umm...the ads up the top are just random arn't they? because i just noticed one for impotence, lol, though may be funny most likely not the best for children to learn about just yet.
hace más de un año Saphira333 said…
I like to be able to keep the spot i made and it not to be takenover by someone else when i don't go on it for a while.

also can there plez be compition for the best sopt then we could vote on our favorite spots...plez
There is a pick for favorite spot: link

Also: Dave, PLEASE don't ever sell Fanpop! When and IF you and the other three are no longer able to keep the site please give it to PkmnTrainerJ and Kathiria82, they are the best at voicing the Fanpop community's opinions; selling it some random billionare would make us sad :(
hace más de un año lindsey2182 said…
Hey Dave,
What I would really love to be able to delete some of the older updates on my personal account. Maybe if there was a 'X' next to them to possibly delete. It just gets annoying having several pages of old updates to my account when they were from like when i started on fanpop.

Just a idea, otherwise I like it!
When I veiw my own pictures it is counted in the total amount of views. This can be a little annoying when I'm waiting for someone to notice my pictures.
hace más de un año michael said…
Lindsey,

Your updates pages should only show updates from the last month. If this isn't the case, message me with a few examples of older updates and I'll see if I can get to the bottom of this.

Michael
Guys, I'm loving the new pick feature where it automatically adds an image in the space with the text in it. Nice work, whichever one of you geniuses thought of it!
hace más de un año Priscilita22 said…
wow i've been reading through this forum and there are so many good ideas!
I think this site looks great so far so good job!! I love it

I do like kathiria82's idea about flagging picks.. i had thought about it before because there are some spots that have the same pick at least 5 times..

Oh I have another question, I don't know if this is an option or not, or even possible doing because I'm not a tech person haha but I always try searching things before I add content to see if it's already on. I'll try searching by using key words but sometimes there is a LOT of content for that specific word, especially images.. so something that would be helpful would be to be able to search specifically for a specific thing. For example, I'll write a key word and then only search for picks with the word or videos or images, etc... I don't know if this can actually be done with technology haha but i've always wondered!

Anyway, thanks so much for the great website I'ts amazing!
Could there be something on Images/Videos for the keywords like suggesting other keywords. I know i'm not the best at putting heaps of keywords in but i look at some stuff and it's an image of a celebrity and someone else and they'll put the celebrity's name in and that's it and do that for a huge batch of images. Not even put the name of the movie or tv show the image is from or event or other people in the image. Just quite frustrating if i want to find something specific.
hace más de un año germany123 said…
it has been said before but i, too, agree that it would be nice to be informed( "recent comments"-feed on the profile page like the "updates"-feed ) when someone has added sth on a thread that you havent started youself. also I think youtubes reply function is cool- that way you can connect better with other users. you now just randomly answer to peoples questions..and never know if they read your answer or not, and since we are all so active here its hard to keep track of your own activity on all the spots. Keep up the good work :)regards from germany
I've recentley thought up of a nice new feature (for once I'm not complaining about silly little bugs!). How about um.... you know the bit at the top of a spot page it says "XYZ fans". Well, maybe we could decide what the "fans" bit is, e.g.:

- The Super Smash Bros Brawl Spot: 102 Brawlers
- The Medical TV Show Spot: 53 Patients
- The Being Nice Spot: 177 Nice People
- The Shaun of The Dead Spot: 174 Thick Funkers (reference to censcored scene "Funky Pete")
- The Zombie Spot: 50 Brains!
- The Christianity Spot: 334 Christians (although some non-Christians use this spot, so maybe something else)
- The Wii Spot: 249 Miis

The problem is, who gets to decide this?

Also, just wondering... what category does "repeat pick" come under when reporting a pick?
hace más de un año meeee said…
I think that since you can post images videos and stuff like that you should be able to post fanfics but have to put a diclaimer or something at the top e.g for a Harry Potter fanfic "I do not own Harry Potter or this fanfic Harry Potter belongs to J.K Rowling and the fanfic belongs to ______ from ______"
That was kinda long the second _______ was for the website the fanfic is from.Just a thought...

I like knifewrench's idea maybe whoever creates the spot gets to pick what it says.
We can't rely on spot creaters to be good decision makers. Some spot creators just create spots for the heck of it and don't have a clue about the spot subject or the opinions of the other fans.
hace más de un año ThinkPink20 said…
I was wondering if you've made it available to get updates to our profiles even if it wasn't US who contributed the content? (Am I making any sense?)
There are some forums/picks that I'd like to get in on, but I usually forget about them because I jsut happened upon them in the first place.
Anyways, I love Fanpop and anything you do to it is fine by me!
Knifewrench, I have the same problem with people just creating spots and then leaving them in pending so you know what I do? I just go in there and post anything I want. That is why I hate it when people try to claim spots and don't even add anything to the ones they make. Another thing that bothers me is when people try to claim the spots they create after others add everything to them to make them great.
Maybe for picks if we could decide with the spots we're fans of if we could turn the picks on/off. Because i've just gotten into watching the office but i don't want to join the spot because i know the picks will in some way spoil where i'm up to, and this is the same with other shows too.
Oh, and as for the whole "spot colour scheme/background" subject I'd have to say that Fanpop isn't ready for it yet. There are way too many idiots who spaz up their pages on MySpace by abusing the ability to colour and change their pages. Allowing any old numbnutted spot creator to choose the colours and background spot might result in this: random vibrant colours which do not suit the spot and backgrounds which have a picture of the user and says "created by <username>" in silly MS-Painted writing.

Random, yes; but I'd like people to know my opinion on this matter.
hace más de un año aholic said…
We should be able to rate picks as tough or easy. It could be funny. Like when you rate videos, just picks.
We should be able to write our own diary. It could be really cool, and a great remember if I wanted to know the date I got my first prop or something. That could be nice.

EDIT - Se changed to We
ooo...aholic nice idea, so like a "firsts" kinda page (reminds me of in Sims 2 it records when you do stuff like that)
We should also be able to comment the icons the users uploaded in their profiles.
hace más de un año nikkiniccole said…
I think the new edits are great, but I want some way to be notified if my profile gets a hit...I want to know...that is...er...I'm still new...how to check the profile hits
hace más de un año blisslikethis said…
i agree about being updated when others reply to comments you've made, not just content you've uploaded. something like, "so and so has also commented on such and such pick in the Fanpop spot". or else a function where you can choose which things you'd like to be updated on. for example, if you make a pick on say, the Debate spot, and you want to know when others comment on it, you could click on a link that would send updates to your profile.
hace más de un año DrDevience said…
What Bliss said ;)
hace más de un año fakeemailwps said…
I think that you should be able to rate picks.
We should be able to give a medal for a special thing. Like "give a prop for this video" like a rating, so it would be easier to ern a medal.
hace más de un año pip_ku said…
I'd really like it if you could link to your profile pic aswell as uploading it so the quality wouldnt be reduced and it wouldn't take as much space on fanpop
hace más de un año emirc2363 said…
aholic, a lot of your ideas are good, but i think if someone would be able to help earn a medal by giving a prop, then EVERYONE would start giving random props just to earn medals. the concept was good, but sadly it would just be taken advantage of on fanpop.
hace más de un año thegame998 said…
There should be a space at the bottom of every spot or under the person's username telling if they are logged on to Fanpop at the moment.
No not like that, but so you know what people had given you a prop for, and then the one who got the prop, would earn a medal faster...No personal gain there :P

It could also be cool if there was a blue medal for spot owners, so you could see who owns the spot. Then it could just be on the other site of the spot icon, so you could still see if you got any contribution medal there.
hace más de un año tessajanuary said…
I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned (I didn't really wanna read through 8 pages of comments to find out), but I would really like a search feature where we could search for certain types of content (i.e. search just for picks or images, etc.) or within a certain spot (like only search in The Office spot, etc.). Also, a search for users would be nice.

And I agree with thegame above. It would be nice to see who's on Fanpop at the moment.
It could also be nice to see who had contributed most to each spot.
hace más de un año Laura90 said…
Sorry if this has already been mentioned. I would really like to know how many props that I've given, and also other users. Maybe have a 'props given' aswll as our 'props recieved' in our profile.