cristianismo What are your opinions on tattoos?

HuddyJoy0524 posted on Mar 27, 2011 at 11:04PM
So i have been really really anti-tattoos my entire life but lately I've changed my mind (idk why) and have been considering getting one. I know that Leviticus 19:28 tells us that we shouldn't but the tattoo i wanted to get was like a little fish symbol (like this spot icon) or a little cross.

What do you all think? Do you think that i would be disobeying the Lord by getting a tattoo? What about the fact that it would be glorifying him? Any thoughts? I could really use some help and opinions right now, thanks!

cristianismo 19 respuestas

Click here to write a response...
hace más de un año -Summerstorm- said…
I think that God thinks you're perfect just the way you are. And no additional fetures should be added. You are just the way God wants you to be. If you have blonde hair or red. If your eyes are brown or green. If you have pimples or moles. If you have only on leg, or if you wear glasses. God made you be the way you are. :D
last edited hace más de un año
hace más de un año Dada said…
^I agree.
Honestly, I hate them! I hate how they've become so common and we're so used to them. Same thing for cursing. What's so great about them anyway?

I'm not sure what to say to you though. Do what you feel is right. Just don't walk away from the path of the Lord.
hace más de un año DarkSarcasm said…
I think that God thinks you're perfect just the way you are. And no additional fetures should be added.

...but you mentioned glasses. I'm pretty sure people aren't born with those - that would make giving birth even more painful than it already is. Wouldn't getting glasses be modifying the way God made you?
hace más de un año gypsy74 said…
smile
Tattoos are an art form, and can therefore glorify Him. Show Him gratitude for being alive. Decorate the body He gave us. Don't feel bad about getting a tattoo if you want a tattoo!
hace más de un año HuddyJoy0524 said…
@darksarcasm "Wouldn't getting glasses be modifying the way God made you?"

I think they were trying to say whether you were born with good vision or terrible vision God loves you the same lol.
hace más de un año LoopyLuna96 said…
smile
I think Tattoo's are fine if you want one. I'm not sure why God would hate that. The way I see it, if God has given you the option to do something in your life that he doesn't like, but you do it, he can't really get mad.
hace más de un año gir5136 said…
God did say in all things glorify Him. I think it's fine to have tattoos but make sure God would approve of it. The cross or fishie symbol is fine. Even one of my pastor's has tattoos.
hace más de un año Cinders said…
So my question is, why is Leviticus 19:28 one of the passages that it's OK to ignore, when, for example, Leviticus 18:22 is not? They're two orders, in the same book, barely a chapter apart. What makes one ignorable, and the other not ignorable?

This is just a curiosity of mine, don't mean to step on anyone's toes.

EDIT: @LoopyLuna - "if God has given you the option to do something in your life that he doesn't like, but you do it, he can't really get mad."

^^ Ooooh, that's a slippery slope. One could apply this same sentence to temptation. I'm not too sure what you meant by this...
hace más de un año Magica said…
I think they're fine to a certain extent. I'm considering getting a small cross one someday, and I think those ones are fine, but the people, for example, who walk around with giant snakes on their arms, those kinds of tattoos are pushing it.

I think it's kind of like dying your hair. Boatloads of Christians have done that before, when it's not natural. So, I don't know, I've never really thought of tattoos being sinful, unless the tattoo itself is sinful, but I could very well be wrong here.
hace más de un año supersunny102 said…
smile
I think getting a tattoo that gloryifies God is a good thing. Who knows, an unbeliever may see it on you and start to ask you about your faith. They may end up finding God from listening to what you said.
hace más de un año pomfan2 said…
^Correct. Like a Cross. but not those weird designs....Although temporary ones maybe okay, but its better if they are not too grotesque looking.
hace más de un año loveishere14 said…
wink
I think that you outta get one, My mom is getting my dads name tattooed on her ring finger. I think you should pray and ask God if you should and if you believe that he is okay with it you should do it ;)
hace más de un año 2nd2lastsamurai said…
Well, the Bible says that "a tree shall be known by its fruit". Anyone can get a tattoo, but it isn't a direct reflection of your commitment with God. The Bible tells us not to worry about our looks- God does think that we're perfect the way we are, the way that He intended us to be- He knows us by what is in our hearts, not on our bodies. I think it’s enough to just try to be a good steward of your body and to try to take care of it/maintain it as the gift that God gave you and the temple for your soul.

I would think that an unbeliever who is interested enough in your personal beliefs would be more interested in them based on how you demonstrate them through your personal behavior/character, not just because you’re rockin’ an awesome cross tat. The same goes for any tattoo that someone might get in the name of anything that they hold dear. The best way to show someone that you love them is to simply show it consistently through thoughts, words and deeds. A tattoo probably means more as a display of love and affection to yourself than it does to the one whose name or symbol the tattoo is of. Tattooing can be somewhat construed as a nice/artistic way of branding, a manifestation of physical ownership over property so that it can’t be stolen or lost. If you have a good relationship with God, you’ll never have to worry about being separated from Him. God is concerned with what is in our hearts and spirits more than with what marks we may place on our bodies.

Just because tattoos involve art does not mean that they bring glory to God, either. God is not glorified by art itself, that’s just materialism. He is glorified by the way that the artist uses the gifts and talents given to him by God in a way that brings glory to God. This can be achieved with every single thing we do on any given day, whether you paint, work on cars, clean dishes, exercise your dog, etc.. Merely using your body as a canvas does not mean you are employing your gifts and talents to glorify God. You still have to walk the walk of a Christian and in the end that’s what matters far more than striking a pose.

I think that if you need a tattoo to remind people that you're a Christian, then you're depending on the wrong means (looks) to establish an image for yourself. After all, God doesn’t operate by sight, He makes himself known through our faith in Him. I don’t know that tattoos are wrong or sinful in God's eyes, but they are merely a self-imposed physical mark of our belief and therefore a superficiality- I certainly wouldn’t consider a Christian who didn’t sport a cross or fish any less of one, much the same as I wouldn't question the devotion of my sweetheart if she didn't have my name stamped on her (which she doesn't and I'm glad ;D). We are in this world, but it’s important to grow in our faith so that we aspire to be not of this world. In my opinion, getting a permanent mark on your body purely for the self-imposed visual effect only reinforces one's faith in a very superficial sense.

Maybe a fishy bumper sticker could fit the bill? Maybe you could start wearing religious jewelry?

Note: there’s a major difference between wearing glasses and marking your body with tattoos. People don't typically wear glasses out of vanity or as a purely physical/visual means of displaying personal belief.
hace más de un año Renarimae said…
Tattoos don't really come off to me as being sinful. I just find them to be painful to get and kind of ruin the way a person's body looks at times (depends on where and how big it is). I support them if it has a meaning to that person. And if someone gets one, it's not for me to say that they can or can't.
hace más de un año jeannette26 said…
smile
I have a tattoo on my back that is verse in the bible.before getting it I had the thought on my mind about what I wanted and where I was going to have the tattoo.I really thougth about the idea for several weeks before I decided to get it.the tattoo was a verse that really meet somthing to me.so before you decide make sure its what you really want and where you really want it on your body since its permanent.also good thought is can I imagine seeing this on my skin when I'm 90.
Also when people question my tattoo I find it a great opportunity to give my testmony of jesus.so if people see the tattoo you might get maybe they will question you about faith in jesus.hope that helps.Godbless.
hace más de un año Cinders said…
I repeat my question (since no one who believes tattoos aren't against the Bible has answered or even acknowledged it):

"Why is Leviticus 19:28 one of the passages that it's OK to ignore, when, for example, Leviticus 18:22 is not? They're two orders, in the same book, barely a chapter apart. What makes one ignorable, and the other not ignorable?"
hace más de un año marauders101 said…
I don't think its a sin, but its not a good thing to do in my opinion. Think about it, its going to be on your BODY for the rest of your life!!!
hace más de un año marauders101 said…
but it depnd what it is
hace más de un año ShadowFan100 said…
I'm not religious, so I will not go the religious approach. Me, personally? I see them as just something I'm not into, rather than a Sin. God gave us the freedom to choose, and so we do. We can choose to tattoo ourselves, or not to. I choose not to. So, no, It's not "Sinful" to me.